• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shaft swap

Alyeska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 88
Make / Model
bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Hello there,

I have two bronco 2s, one is an 88, with a working engine, the other is an 84 with a blown engine. THe 88 droped its drive shaft. THe 84 threw a rod. THe 84 is an automatic, the 88 is a 5speed overdrive manual. I was wondering if I can swap out the driveshaft from the 84 to the 88. Or if it would be usable to snag one at a boneyard. Or if I would find it nessicery to get a new one.

Please note, the engine leaks oil, had some one who really had little idea what thay where doing working on it. For starters, you start it by touching two wires togeather. I was going to take the steering wheel assimbly off the 84 and transfur that over, and a few other things, and probably in the spring yang the engine out and give it a good going over. BUt, I need the thing road worthy asap cause I gotta run a few k miles with it before I can stop and pull the engine. THe oil leaks look to mostly be from the valve covers, easy enough to deal with, and I might just live with it tell I get a chance to rebuild. Important thing is, how much stuff from the 84 can I use in the 88?

Thanks in advance,
Alyeska

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if the automatic is the A4 with overdrive, the shafts will fit, if it's a three speed, it'll require you to shorten the shaft.

Alyeska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 88
Make / Model
bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Will check, its got the older cv joints in the driveshaft, the one the 88 had was some weird thing with a ball type joint and big rubber boots. I think the fellow hit a rock pretty hard. Someone had spent some money on this thing beforehand, so its kinda sad to see it in the shape it is in now. I got the tools and the time, so its not too big a deal for me to rebuild the engine later. Gotta get a drive shaft in it so I can drive it around first though. Got a couple big trips I gotta take, and the van only gets 8 miles a gal on the highway.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Measure them. Hept might be right, but it depends on which trans is in the 88.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I believe most everything should swap over from the '84 - the only difference I know of in the steering column is the horn "button" is part of the blinker switch in the '84. I'd just swap the whole column. 2.9s are notorious for valve cover oil leaks so I'm sure you're right on there... and they're easy to change out unless you have air conditioning.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you do have leaky valve cover gaskets, get the rubber ones. 6 years double gasketed and still no leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals