• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is my water pump bad???

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
PROBLEM:

My radiator is cold to the touch and has no pressure, even after driving around town for an hour. I was driving around the other day and the engine light came on and it idles really low now. (that may be something else)

The top radiator hose gets hot and the lower hose is cold after driving. About 6 weeks back I replaced the thermostat, hoping that would fix it, but no such luck. I put it in right and everything, and put in a new gasket.

My temp gauge is either busted or I've disconnected/cut a wire. It isnt overheating when I drive it around but we just got a bunch of snow and it's been cold as hell here. I think it may be boiling off some coolant though, (if that can happen) after driving yesterday, I popped the radiator cap off and the coolant was lower than the day before.

Is this something I can do in my garage?

By the way, it's an 88 BII - 2.9 - 4x4 - manual - eddie bauer .........if any of that matters.

thanks in advance

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Drive it for a good while and pop the hood and touch the valve covers. You'll know if it's too hot... trust me. Everyonce in a while I'll see a car that the cooling system's been neglected, mainly GMs, and the blades on the water pump would be corroded, almost to nothing, therefore they weren't effectively pumping the coolant through the engine. It isn't something you want to do until you're ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE it's what the problem is, and yes it's a job you could do in the garage

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you think it is runninghot/overheating you should stop driving it because you will blow a head gasket. Look at the bottom of your oil fill cap and see if there is a milky slim on it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, top it off and sit there running it with the hood up, watch for the leak.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you think it is runninghot/overheating you should stop driving it because you will blow a head gasket. Look at the bottom of your oil fill cap and see if there is a milky slim on it
I dont think it is overheating. I did check the oil after the engine light came on and it didnt look like there was any water in the crankcase, i'll check the oil cap when i get home, but if it wasnt on the dipstick, i doubt it would be on the oil cap.

Drive it for a good while and pop the hood and touch the valve covers. You'll know if it's too hot... trust me. Everyonce in a while I'll see a car that the cooling system's been neglected, mainly GMs, and the blades on the water pump would be corroded, almost to nothing, therefore they weren't effectively pumping the coolant through the engine. It isn't something you want to do until you're ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE it's what the problem is, and yes it's a job you could do in the garage

this truck has been very well maintained, i always did everything that had to be done and the correct intervals (change coolant, oil, fuel filter, gear oil, etc....) it did sit for about 8 months during my senior year of college. i'll try checking the valve covers tonight also, i think they'll be hot though because the upper radiator hose is always hot, just the radiator cap and lower hose are cold.

thanks for the input, keep'em coming

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wait... just to be sure you changed the thermostat on the bottom of the engine right? seeing as the bottom hose is cold and the top is warm. the bottom should atleast get alittle warm if the thermostats working.

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Grab the waterpump at check for movement in the bearings. You chould always check it to by removing the lines that go to your heatercore and see if any coolant shoots out, its kinda nasty and messy but you will know for sure. If you have to do the water pump be careful and go slow the bolts like to snap off in the block on the 2.9s. good luck

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
1) upper rad hose gets hot because it has hot coolant flowing through it (assuming everything is working properly), that has nothing to do with the valve covers getting hot.

2) The t-stat on the 2.9 is NOT on the bottom of the engine. It sits in the front of the lower intake.

3) Ford only has 1 engine that has a lower-hose t-stat, and that is the 2.3L Fusion engine.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1) upper rad hose gets hot because it has hot coolant flowing through it (assuming everything is working properly), that has nothing to do with the valve covers getting hot.

2) The t-stat on the 2.9 is NOT on the bottom of the engine. It sits in the front of the lower intake.

3) Ford only has 1 engine that has a lower-hose t-stat, and that is the 2.3L Fusion engine.
the 2.8 V6 has one too

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, like adsm08 said my thermostat is directly below the throttle body in the front of the lower intake. the lower radiator hose goes from the water pump to the radiator. the upper hose is hot, so I would think that the coolant is flowing through and the t-stat is working fine.

since the lower hose isn't hot and there is no pressure I though that the water pump could be on it's way out. it did sit for 8 months and maybe the thing just stopped up or rusted or something. i'm gonna undo the lower radiator hose (the end thats connected to the water pump) and see how much coolant comes out and maybe try the heater hose as well. the more i think about it, the more i think it is the water pump, i'm gonna keep poking around for now though.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't think it is the water pump. I think you have either a clogged radiator or a bad radiator cap.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, yes it is. Its a very naughty water pump. You should punish it immediately. Ground it for two weeks and take away it's allowance.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think it is the water pump. I think you have either a clogged radiator or a bad radiator cap.
so how might one go about unclogging one's radiator? cap's arent too expensive, but i dont wanna have to buy a new radiator if i dont have to. guess i could go to a JY, but i may run into the same problem a year from now.

i'm just gonna F with it for a while tonight if it aint rainin too much and see what i find. thanks for the input people

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To unplug a radiator you take it out and run water through it from a hose. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The water pump is only like 30 bucks, if u've had it along time, its possible that its wore out. My impeller on mine had fell off the shaft. The bearing were good still. took a couple of hours to fix. Change it and report back. It can't hurt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals