• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger, Its back

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And it doesn't help that the only thing it has in common with the '83-'12 Ranger is the name...
Which is pretty common.

An '83 should have nothing in common with a '17. Compare F-150's from the same vintage...

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I hope they don't put that pos mitsubishi 5 cylinder diesel and go with a power max v6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I read something the other day online that Ford is bringing the Ranger back and sure hope it is true.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I read something the other day online that Ford is bringing the Ranger back and sure hope it is true.
And...it will be based on one of the carlike bases rather than an actual pickup as we once knew the Ranger to be :(. It'll be like a 4 door explorer or probably more the size of an escape but with a truck bed...think Explorer Sport Trac again :(.

And once again another thread of the same thing that gets posted year after year...until its sitting on a car lot I wouldn't think too much of it...and with the designs being thrown around I wouldn't want one, the bed is totally useless in those things...again think Explorer Sport Trac. I want a damn truck so I can tow/haul, not go shopping at the mall.

All Ford needs to do is go pull their drawings out of the closet from the 80's and start building the real Ranger again, nevermind all the electronic shit, nevermind the stupid "ecoboost" shit, just build a damn truck that will actually last more than a few years without falling apart and for god sakes no aluminum cans in them.

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I agree with thee above aforementioned^^

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
WildBill23c:

What do you have against the T-6 Ranger? :)

In Regular cab trim, it has a 2.3m bed (which is 7" longer than that of my long bed); can haul >2,700lbs and tow almost 7,700lbs. And the SuperCab version bed is same size as my '98 came stock with. And there is a 3rd choice of CrewCab if you want to haul more people than stuff. I don't see how choice is bad.

If I had to put money on engines, it would be 2.5 I4 for base, 3.7 V-6 for big gas, the 3.2 PowerStroke I-5 for diesel (as they match up well against the Chev) and a 2.3 Ecoboost as the premium engine (one up man ship on competition) (I'm more concerned that all we will get is a many speed automatic...)

I have not issue with the 'beer can' hood on my '98, so wouldn't care one way or other on aluminum bodywork.

85Ranger4x4

My point was more there is continuity from '68 F-100 through '17 F-150 - something always carried over from generation to next (which allowed for some upgrade/backdating). And there is continuity from '83 to '12 Ranger. But the big break eliminated that, which to a certain extent is going to result in different buyer for next generation...

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And...it will be based on one of the carlike bases rather than an actual pickup as we once knew the Ranger to be :(. It'll be like a 4 door explorer or probably more the size of an escape but with a truck bed...think Explorer Sport Trac again :(.

And once again another thread of the same thing that gets posted year after year...until its sitting on a car lot I wouldn't think too much of it...and with the designs being thrown around I wouldn't want one, the bed is totally useless in those things...again think Explorer Sport Trac. I want a damn truck so I can tow/haul, not go shopping at the mall.

All Ford needs to do is go pull their drawings out of the closet from the 80's and start building the real Ranger again, nevermind all the electronic shit, nevermind the stupid "ecoboost" shit, just build a damn truck that will actually last more than a few years without falling apart and for god sakes no aluminum cans in them.
The first Sport Trac WAS a 4dr Ranger.

The second Sport Trac was a pickup version of the 02-10 Explorer... fully boxed frame and all. Powertrain (minus the V8) was shared with the Ranger.

Every 4dr small truck has a tiny bed.

And no, there is very little on a '04 F-150 that will easily bolt onto my '02. Battery, t-case and maybe the trans would be about it. '97 was a clean slate that had even less in common with the truck before it.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The first Sport Trac WAS a 4dr Ranger.

The second Sport Trac was a pickup version of the 02-10 Explorer... fully boxed frame and all. Powertrain (minus the V8) was shared with the Ranger.
What parts of the Sport Trac were Ranger based? The only significant component I can think of that was even shared between the 2 would be the 4.0 SOHC.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What parts of the Sport Trac were Ranger based? The only significant component I can think of that was even shared between the 2 would be the 4.0 SOHC.
Front suspension, front interior, engine/trans/tcse, 31 spline 8.8 similar to an FX4 but with disk brakes and no torson.

Cab, bed and frame are different as they are on most full four door trucks.

Just leaves the front sheetmetal they changed for giggles.

Second gens have less, engine and trans with a IRS 8.8 and a tweaked front D35.

But an '01 Sport Track is basically the same running gear as a '11 Ranger.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I've always thought of it more like an Explorer with a bed than a 4 door Ranger. They shared much more with the Exploders than the Rangers (hence the name Explorer Sport Trac). Some parts like interior trim were used in all three of course. Thanks for the details on some of the similarities.

Ranger Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
I hope they don't put that pos mitsubishi 5 cylinder diesel and go with a power max v6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I dunno...we had a ranger while I was deployed in 2011, was still kicking when I went back in 2013, it had that 5 cylinder diesel in it and man talk about a truck that took a beating! I when I came home in 13 I thought about converting my 91 SXT to a diesel but I would have to get the motor from an overseas vender and do ALOT of converting. That guy had a lot of low end torque that would be perfect for off road and killer MPG. I do like your power max idea tho!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals