• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finding an Engine

shaferch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD and it has the 3.0 in it.

I am a truck driver and I left for about 3 months. I let someone drive my truck once they said they were driving it and it just stopped gaining speed and then they pulled over and shut it off. Had little oil left in it. When I came back it was losing oil onto the ground from the bottom of the engine(i don't know where) and has a slight ticking sound on the top of the engine.

I'm assuming it needs and engine. . .however for what ever reason to find a 3.0 engine that came out of an 02 ranger people want a fortune for them and most have 160k+ miles on them. . . I was told that the only engine that can be put in it is one that came out of another 02 Ranger.

So I guess my question is can I use another 3.0 engine out of like a sable or escape? Or would it be possible and cheaper to rebuild the engine I have?

Love this little truck and want to fix it.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
My 02>>>>

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD and it has the 3.0 in it.
I'm assuming it needs and engine. . .however for what ever reason to find a 3.0 engine that came out of an 02 ranger people want a fortune for them and most have 160k+ miles on them. . . I was told that the only engine that can be put in it is one that came out of another 02 Ranger.
So I guess my question is can I use another 3.0 engine out of like a sable or escape? Or would it be possible and cheaper to rebuild the engine I have?
Love this little truck and want to fix it.
==============
Sounds like you need an engine, it is possible to use a Taraus/Sable, but don't think an Escape one would work. Just need to do a search on here for the info on that kinda swap. As far as mileage goes, you've got a 14yr old truck (10k/yr average is 140k), so........

Another option would be to get a 98-00 Explorer 5.0L AWD and swap that drivetrain into your Ranger Edge, total bolt-in swap with some wiring & exhaust work....then you'll have a SWEET lil' truck like mine!:yahoo:

shaferch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I wouldn't have a problem putting an engine with that kind of millage on it but I'm not going to pay $1200 for one lol

I don't have time to do a swap like that although I like the idea. :icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Rangers used the 3.0l Vulcan engine, from 1991 to 2008
It was also used in these vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Vulcan_engine

Ford also used a 3.0l Duratec engine starting in 1996, Duratec 30, it can NOT be swapped with a 3.0l Vulcan, different bellhousing and pretty much everything else.
So Ford 3.0l can mean two different engines.

Differences over the years in the 3.0l Vulcan engine can be seen here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0-build.shtml

2WD or 4WD didn't matter for the 3.0l Vulcan, 4.0l SOHC engine did have a balancer shaft if used in 4WD.

You can swap in any year 3.0l Vulcan block and heads, 1986 to 2008, you just need to use your intake and oil pan/pump and pickup.
BUT...........1995 and up were distributorless so would be better, less parts to swap over, and they had roller tappets
2004 to 2006 Ranger 3.0ls had a recessed exhaust valve seat issue so avoid those years.

3.0l Vulcan was offered in a Flex Fuel model(FFV), they had different heads and larger injectors, also computer software was slightly different.
The different heads don't matter either way, as a set they are interchangeable, I wouldn't use 1 FFV head with a gas only head on other bank, lol, although it probably wouldn't matter that much.
The injectors you use must match the computer software, so if you have an FFV computer then use FFV injectors, if you have gas only computer then use gas only injectors.
Injectors are NOT Jets, larger injectors don't give an engine more power, they cause computer to turn on CEL(check engine light) and set Rich codes, because too much fuel is flowing in when computer opens injectors.

So no, you do not need to use a 2002 only 3.0l Vulcan engine.
You will need to swap lower and upper intakes so sensors and wiring matches up.

There is a caveat about using transverse mounted 3.0l Vulcan from Taurus/sables in Rangers.
Transverse mounting of engines means coolant flows in from the back and out to the front, so the head gaskets are slightly different, to have that kind of flow.
People that have done the car to truck swap said there was no problem with overheating with car head gaskets, but up to you really, I think you could get a hot spot that might not show up on the temp gauge.
I would change head gaskets, but just an opinion I have no experience to back it up

Last edited:

shaferch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you! That has been the best response I have found on the internet!

Found a 99 Taurus engine for about $150 with 90k miles on it. Think I might throw that in there!

Thanks again!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as it is a 3.0l OHV Vulcan, 3.0l DOHC Duratec won't work, Taurus/sable could have either in '99

Swap upper and lower intakes, oil pans and oil pump pickup

Not sure on the crank pulley, but probably need to swap it to line up with Ranger accessories
New rear main seal, always, when an engine(or transmission) is out, front main is up to you
Check all Core plugs(freeze plugs) for rust, replace if there is even a hint of rust, I would pull a lower one out just to see what inside the water chamber looks like, see if it is rusty inside, with 90k on a '99 it sat most of its life so could need a good flushing of the block while it is out.
Core plugs are cheap, and hard to change when engine is installed.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals