• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mustang convertible motor mount for 5.0 swap info needed

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So here is my question. Can a 1985-1993 Ford Mustang convertible*5.0L engine mount be used on a 1989-1992 Ford Ranger that has a four cylinder engine and just bolt right in?

I'm trying my best to look up this information myself but it's hard to come by. I was reading through the 5.0 swap tech articles on this site and it says

"It has been said in our forums that a 1985-1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 5.0L engine mount will work for this conversion. Swap the mounts to opposite sides (Left-Right). The convertible engine mounts and hardtop engine mounts are not the same. The 5.0L Ford Mustang Convertible was actually built on a 4-cylinder Mustang chassis."

I'm pretty sure that the four cylinder motor in both the mustang and ranger are practically the same. So would these mustang motor mounts be able to just bolt up to the ranger frame and be good?

The reason why I am asking is clearly because I want to do the 5.0 swap. I think I read somewhere the rangers with the 2.9, 3.0 and 4.0 are easiest swap candidates because the motor mounts from a 5.0 are a direct bolt in. However if you start out with a four cylinder frame truck you're up a creek because it's not as easy as just bolting it in. When I came across the tech article it piqued my curiosity because if what I'm thinking is true then it would make things a lot easier.

Can somebody help verify this information or correct me if I'm wrong so future readers can learn and apply?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about the 2.3 but the convertible mounts are not bolt in for the V6's. I had to cut notches.

If I had to do over again I would use V6 mounts with the adaptor plates. There are a couple articles in the "tech articles" section you will find interesting.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
They're expensive but James Duff makes a set of bombproof mounts for the V8 swap. Top notch IMO. Dufftuff.com.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The mustang V8 'vert mounts get bolted directly to the ranger crossmember. It doesn't matter what engine the Ranger had from the factory. All the stock mounting brackets have to be removed from the frame. You just need to drill and slot the holes in the correct location.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals