• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engne lugging issues

justbinfishin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Ohv
Transmission
Manual
1993 Ranger standard cab XLT 4x4, 4.0.

My ranger is hesitating, only in 3rd gear and up, and only in the 1700-2300rpm range under load. It doesn't do it downhill or on level ground, only on medium grades and up. in these same gears, there is a dead spot in the throttle. The same RPM band in 1st/2nd is smooth and lug-free. The first quarter or so of the range of the accelerator accelerates normally, the middle half-ish lugs forcibly and bogs down, followed by smoothing out and rapid acceleration when floored. The truck was horribly abused and I had to swap the engine, so I have been switching neglected components whenever possible. I have replaced the fuel filter, the injectors spray consistently (I checked them when pulling the intake manifold to replace the gasket). I replaced the plugs and wires, and they spark hot. I replaced the ect sensor, as it was visibly cracked.

The only code currently showing is for the left 02 sensor (coding lean), which I saw was physically damaged by channel locks when some dipstick was trying to remove it. The replacements for both sides are in the mail (Bosch I think). I checked both engine off and engine on codes.

Other items I plan to replace are coil packs, TPS, and the other 02 sensor (already ordered). I'm basically spending a few hundred on replacing items that are likely to fail with almost 200k on them. I really don't want them to go out when I'm in grad school.

My diagnosis (for the dead spot) is the TPS, although I plan on checking the fuel pressure at the rail when I get in to an autozone so I can rent the gauge. So, aside from the items I'm replacing, what are the possibilities?

I realize with an issue this general it's likely I won't find the problem right away, but I would appreciate your opinions!

Thank you

justbinfishin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Ohv
Transmission
Manual
quick thought, could the catalytic converter be somewhat plugged from the sensor coding lean, resulting in a notable lack of power in the mid rpm ranges?

Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals