• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting problem

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
I've been having a problem starting my truck the past week or so. If I leave it overnight the battery is always dead. The battery will have enough power to turn the dash lights on dim but not enough to crank it over. The truck never dies after it is started, just when it has sat. I haven't had the alternator checked yet but idk if that is the problem. It's the factory battery too. Theres no lights or anything being left on or any of that. I've heard that the alternator will become warm when the engine is cool because it's drawing power still, if that is the problem? I can afford to buy a new alternator and a battery, but i'd rather not if I didn't have to. Any help would be incredible. :icon_thumby:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Sounds like you have a pretty decent parasitic draw happening when it sits. Something is drawing power even when the truck is shut off. Do you have a multimeter?

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
I do not have one currently. It's just weird though, I've had my subwoofers and fog lights in for quite a while now and I would think that those would be the issue. Also my positive terminal on my battery corrodes REALLY fast. It needs to be cleaned with a wire brush atleast once a week. The only thing that I can think of that's drawing power is when I charge my Ipod or cell phone. But that should never kill the battery from what power they pull. I'll check and see if the alternator is warm tomorrow before I start it up, see if that's the problem.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Many things can cause a draw...including a bad alternator itself. With a multimeter and a couple hours its not that hard to pinpoint the circuit that is the problem.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not completely understanding what i'm thinking about right now. A bad alternator would not, (correct me if I'm wrong), charge the battery. Therefore when the battery dies the engine should die. But the engine never dies once it has started. (Just had it idling for about 30 mins). Therefore if I am right (probably not) then the alternator isn't to blame. I have the fuse pulled for the amp power wire and the switch is off for my fog lights. So somewhere something has started pulling power when off... correct?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes something is drawing power when the truck is off.

The diodes inside the alternator can become shorted, and will cause a draw while still putting out 12+V and otherwise operating normally.

To check for a draw, get yourself a multimeter. Disconnect the positive battery terminal. Connect one lead from the multimeter to the battery post, attach the other lead to the batter cable so that you complete the circuit. Set your multimeter to the appropriate amps setting. Make sure the key is off, all accessories are off or unplugged. Shut the doors so that the dome light is off, remove the under hood light bulb if you have one. You will have to let the truck sit for a bit (10-20 minutes) so that everything has a chance to power down (PCM/GEM module, etc.)After everything goes to sleep, you should get a reading of 0.05amps or less. If it is more, start remove fuses from your fuse panel inside the truck until the draw goes away. Once you find the fuse that causes the draw, that is the circuit that is causing your problem. You then need to investigate that circuit further to pinpoint the exact cause.

Hope that helps.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
That helps immensely. Guess i'm going to buy a multimeter tomorrow :icon_thumby:. Your a lifesaver.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
No problem at all.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
Alright just got done testing it. Currently it is drawing .35 amps. The truck has been sitting for probably 30 minutes. I will go tonight after work and start pulling fuses and stuff. Thanks for your help man.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i just went through this same exact problem on my 88 BII. i know they are different cars, but my BII was dying overnight as well. i took off the alternator and went up to napa and had them test it. they have a machine with a belt on it and my alternator would even turn the machine on. the guy said it was bad bearings. anyways, i replaced the alternator and it took care of the problem.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
Ill definitely check that out tonight. I'll start with the alternator first, hopefully I won't have to pull too many fuses. :icon_thumby:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a ? If you didn't have a multi meter couldn't you diconnect the wire going to the alternater and the next morning if the battery has juice then you would have a bad alternater

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
As long as the battery is charged before you disconnect the alternator. If the battery is dead before disconnecting it, you get the idea.

I just tested all the fuses and relays in the power distribution box and none stopped the draw. I disconnedted both wire connecters at the alternator and the draw was still there. Guess it's in one of the fuses inside the cab. Got a cheapo actron multi meter for $35 at advance auto. WOOOHOO for cheap sh**.

Frmboybuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a bad battery to me. If this is in your 99 and its the factory battery, I'd say its going dead. Take it to Advance or Oreillys and have them test it. Your alternator sounds good to me

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was thinking of that also but assumed that was already elimanated. If you have a charger take the cables off charge it up. Let it sit overnight either out of the truck or with the cables off and see if it holds a charge

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals