• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much is my explorer lifted? Need shocks

Rolled Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Does anybody have stock ride height specs for a 2001 Explorer sport? I Did an add-a-leaf, extended shackles and cranked the torsion bars all the way up. I now need to figure out how much it is lifted so I can get new shocks. With the rear shocks fully extended, they are barely long enough to reach the mounts. Thanks.

Here is a pic:

Last edited:

982WDRanger

07/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, Bored .030 over!
Transmission
Manual
Just look up what you have for stock shock length, collapsed and extended then find new ones longer for your lift. Autozone's website gives you that info when you look up shocks in the specs tab. High-end Gabrielle shocks are usually longer than the base line ones, may want to look into it.

Rolled Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip. I can't find specs for the stock motorcraft ones that are on there. Do you know if the measurements are from end to end or center of the mounting holes? I am going to measure the ones that are on there so I can compare to the specs of the others.

Last edited:

982WDRanger

07/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, Bored .030 over!
Transmission
Manual
I believe it is measured eye to eye. I would just look up and stock replacement and go with those specs as a base, the motorcraft ones from factory will compare almost exactly to any base aftermarket shock for the same application. The more expensive and better quality shocks may differ in length though for the same application. Variation isn't a whole lot but there is some. Example: 1998 Ford Ranger front 2wd shocks from Gabrielle, the cheap baseline shocks are almost 2 inches shorter than the high end Gabrielle Max shocks.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I want to say the TT on the front will give you 2-3" usually around 2" and the extended shackles usually gives you about 2". I am not sure about the add-a-leaf but I would say you are about 2-3" higher than stock so I would just add that to the factory shock and you should come out all right. I'd find one about 3" longer. That is not the technical way and there are probably other ways to find it but that is how I would do it. Just something to think about.

Rolled Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I called two off-road shops and they both said they had nothing for extended shocks because nobody makes a lift for it. I called the local parts store and they had measurements for all the shocks they sold. I just went with the longest ones they had. A set of Ranchos. Should work. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals