• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Used 3” spindle lift for ‘03 3.0

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
Anyone got a spare of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
Anyone got a spare of these?

Do your research before buying a pair. I've currently got Chassis Tech 3" lift spindles. I'm not a big fan as the turning radius increased massively when I installed them. It's difficult to even maneuver in parking lots. I contacted Maxtrac to see if their spindles keep the factory radius without compromising caliper interference and they haven't yet responded. I think the cost for an average guy to ship these is going to be quite expensive, so you actually may be better off buying new. Just saying...

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
Hi Rangstang,

Thanks for the comment. I think I am going to end up going with WheelsNParts' 4" lift, with some shackles for $325-ish.

I understand most people having turning radius loss from spindle lifts actually. The solution has something to do with grinding down the steering bump and installing new steerings stops somewhere else. Did you try anything like that?

EDIT: Rangstang -- did you trim the lower control arm during your install? That is necessary step that is supposed to solve the steering issue.
Any other input is appreciated!

Phil

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BENOOA4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GPQJ0T2YEO4R

Last edited:

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have read about that, but I wasn't a big fan of it personally for safety reasons. Interestingly, there was no instructions that indicated this needed to be done. In addition, I contacted the manufacturer about the issue and the rep that responded told me that they had never heard of this issue. Yeah, right! I probably will do the grind, but will reinforce it if need be. Good luck with your purchase.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I just checked out the link you posted. That's for coil spring suspension, not the torsion bar like I have. I had a pair of the same brand for my 1999 coil spring Ranger and I had no issues with turning radius or caliper interference. Worked like they were factory.

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
Update!

I installed a pair of factory spindles from Doetsch Tech. I choose doetsch because i wanted 3” (not 4”) and I didn’t want to pay for fabtech. They look awesome. Wheel bearing fit and everything. Will post pics later. Now to lift the rear a little more to even it out.

Cons: Turning radius has definitely been lost a bit, but not to the bothering extent I expected.

The unexpected thing i don’t like is the feeling of lacking a factory steering stop. I don’t lose brakes at full turn or anything, but the wheel kind of snaps back a few inches when I go full turn and let go. It’s just a weird feeling. It’s probably the new spindle pressing against the lip of the side of the control arm. If anyone has tips on a new steering stop solution let me know.

As for grinding, looking at the control arm now I am not confident i really needed to do any. Really it only seems like a notch could have been cut out directly below where the steering stops are to allow the spindle to go full turn without hitting the control arm lip. That said, I left that alone. I didn’t want to put a notch there because it looks to be a critical spot to not sacrifice the structural support of the lip.

Also, the doetsch tech spindles come with hardware, but other than the bolts it is pure cheap garbage. That and I couldn’t put my dust shields back on!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals