• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RPM drop

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When my engine RPM's come down after driving or just revving, they take a big dip down to like 400 or so, then it bounces back up to normal range. It's annoying because it dims my headlights at stop lights and it kind of looks like I'm flashing my lights at the drivers in from of me. Any ideas what this is?

This is a '96 w/ 4.0 & 5spd.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Check amperage output from alternator. Then check for vacuum leaks.

Slow engine recovery could be caused from vacuum leaks, or the alt may be having issues with regulation of power.

Post if you find the problem ... it helps others.

BUGNUT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the exact problem this morning on my way to work, as well as the oil pressure gauge dropping to near 0 psi and the check engine came on. Not a good start to the day. Since I work across from a Ford dealer I drove there and had them check things out. Its raining here at the moment and we expect a very wet weekend, not very nice weather to do the trouble shooting myself outside. Any way the dealer called me at work and told me the oil pressure sensor was defective. I told them to replace it. The low idle and stalling was caused by the IAC (air idle control) module. Its mounted on the air intake housing.

The dealer charged me $22.00 for the oil sensor and $154.00 labour to install it. Can you believe it, $154.00 to screw in a sensor. I guess thats cheaper than a seized engine.

For the IAC they wanted $285.00 and $103.00 labour to install it. I told them to just fix the oil pressure problem and leave the the rest.

Last edited:

B30004X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Chevy
F
Engine Size
3.0 V6, 4.3 V6, 4.0 V6, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am having this same problem. So the IAC is usually the problem for this?

charlie268

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Same problem

I had the same problem for about 2 weeks and just could not find the answer till this past Thursday. On my way home from work the battery light came on very dim at first and I looked at the batter gage and I could watch it dropping to the L. Made it home to my local garage and tested the charging system it sure enough it was the alternator. I have a 2000, 4wd, 4.0, auto 5 spd. You could notice this with the overdrive on or off but it was more noticeable with the overdrive off. Like I said it took probably 2 and a half or 3 weeks to show up with the light and gage dropping

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals