• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger (4.0L, Auto, 2WD) still have stock shocks and suspension - I need help

funstuie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All,

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger 4.0l SEFI V6 engine, 2WD, Auto Trans with 145k on the clock.

It's still got stock shocks and suspension parts and it drives like a boat.

So I want to replace everything to get a better more comfortable ride and also to raise the front to get rid of the rake.

I am not looking to add a big lift kit as it's 2WD but I would like to run bigger wheels than the stock 14's.

Can anyone recommend a kit which would contain everything I need?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Best option is coil spacers in the front, add-a-leaf in the rear, or a taller lift block in the rear, and good shocks. It's worth going through and replacing the front radius arm and pivot bushings, and even the rear leaf springs bushings in some cases, although those can be very difficult to remove, depending on how rusty the truck is.

There is not much out there, outside of a lot of custom fabrication, that will make these trucks ride really nice, they are trucks, with suspension designs dating back to the mid 60's... good shocks and healthy bushings are the most important part.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd do a shackle flip and lower the rear down to match the front instead of raising the front up personally. 15s and larger will fit fine with the proper tire & offsets. As previously said, new shocks and bushings all around is about as much as you can do to improve ride characteristics. Upgrading the sway bars can also help in the handling department.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Add-a-leafs you can get from pro-comp on ebay for $35.

Springs you don't need. Get coil spacers from a 2wd F150... mid 80's - mid 90's. That is if you even need to lift the front.

Shocks and bushing kit you can put together for a lot less than that.

May even think about replacing your body bushings. Probably trashed by now. I think I got a kit from Pro-thane for my '86 for like $60.

funstuie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up ordering as you suggested all the parts - shocks, bushings, add a leaf and it came in a lot cheaper than that kit.

Hopefully I can get it all installed over the next couple of weekends.

My next question/prject is around my steering - it's really weird. I am going to flush the fluid but it just doesnt feel there - I will be driving along and for a few seconds it will be like I have no steering. It just doesnt feel all that responsive.

Seeing as the truck has 145k miles on all stock components - are there easily replaceable steering parts?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Could be a weak power steering pump, I had one that worked fine when the engine was cold but I'd lose power steering completely once it warmed up. If I revved up the engine just a little it would come back. Does the pump make whining noise at all, fluid is full, does the steering feel loose?

funstuie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a weak power steering pump, I had one that worked fine when the engine was cold but I'd lose power steering completely once it warmed up. If I revved up the engine just a little it would come back. Does the pump make whining noise at all, fluid is full, does the steering feel loose?
the steering feels a little lose - as in there is some play but not a lot.

The fluid is full but it's burnt. I'm pretty sure it wasn't burnt last time I checked it a couple of weeks ago.

funstuie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got it all sorted (almost).

All new shocks all round, replaced all bushings - except for front sway bar as Summit sent a kit for the rear.

Added lift blocks to the front which caused the the front to rake up so I added Add a leaf to the rear which has raised the rear back up so I still have a rake, albeit a smaller one (if that makes sense). I replaced all the busings in the rear which was a ****ing nightmare but the old ones were all cracked and disintegrating so it was good I ordered all the bushing kits.

Now my problem is I really need an allignment as the camber is way off in the front. Also the 14" wheels look dumb as shit right now. I have a new set of Cragar soft 8's which I need to get tires for - hopefully at the same shop I get an alignment done.

It took me a while as I had to travel for work over the past few weeks but I managed to get it all sorted this week working in the evenings after work.

Now onto the front end - I need a new bumper and headlights.

funstuie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
flushing the fluids multiple times seemed to sort this one.

funstuie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got an allignment done on the truck after all the "upgrades" and while the camber is back to normal the steering is back to being "off" it feels a bit wobbly. The guy at firestone seemed to think it was fine.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Firestone is about the last place I'd trust for vehicle maintenance... I had them do one ball joint on my F150 many years ago, the tweaker who did it said he had to torch the old one out and then tried to charge me $800. Screw that place, they hire hacks and will rip you off.

Get a second opinion if it doesn't feel right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals