• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Locker question/suggestion

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
Like every other trac-loc my factory unit seems to be wearing out. Rear came out of a 98 b4000. Never failed at the strip always spun both

But...... everytime I'm going on a corner now it only spins 1 .... and today in a little rain it only spun 1 again.

So its time to rebuild as I forsee lots of track time this upcoming year.

**question
should I rebuild what I have with the Ford racing rebuild kit?

Or late model resto offers a cobra clutch rebuild kit for my 8.8 that uses carbon disks for only a couple bucks more.

(Is it worth the money)

Or should I just but a Detroit or similar? I am on a budget or else I would have owned a better locker by now.

Thanks

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would just rebuild it, then make sure to pour some friction modifier in with the diff fluid.
People have taken those trac loc diffs a long ways, as long as theres no wheel hop.

Ive heard of people putting in 2 old clutch discs in with the new set to make it a little tighter. Ive never done it myself but im sure if you do a search on nloc.net (lightning forum) you can find out a little more about it.

Last edited:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Whats your budget? What gears do you run?

If you are tight for cash then just rebuild what you have. If you are looking for better times, maybe some deeper gears and a gear-type limited slip carrier will shrink the quarter mile times.

I see some of the top end mustangs use carbon fiber clutches, but I have no experience with them personally.

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
I run 373 and wheel hop hasn't been an issue and Cal tracs is on order anyways.

And as far as times I got trial y s and new exhaust to go on. A data loger and afr. So the Carb can be tuned , bought et streets and american racing steelies for trac use on th back and trucks getting lowered and new shocks.

Last edited:

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
Buddy of mine rebuilt his stang locker with the cobra carbon clutches and they worked perfect just didn't know if you guys had any experience with them. The carbon clutch rebuild is where I'm leaning

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You can rebuild them and re-arrange the clutches to get an extra one in there, it helps a lot. Information is in the tech library.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can rebuild them and re-arrange the clutches to get an extra one in there, it helps a lot. Information is in the tech library.
^^^ Yes.

Also I went to my local driveline shop and paid a total of ~C$65.00 for clutches and shims compared to my local ford dealer who wanted C$212.00 for clutches and C$55.00 for shims.

Richard

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buddy of mine rebuilt his stang locker with the cobra carbon clutches and they worked perfect just didn't know if you guys had any experience with them. The carbon clutch rebuild is where I'm leaning
I know a few folks running those carbon clutches as well (one with about 25k on it since he put them in). They all seem to like them, and the dude with 25k on his set says its still very tight..

$0.02

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
I know a few folks running those carbon clutches as well (one with about 25k on it since he put them in). They all seem to like them, and the dude with 25k on his set says its still very tight..

$0.02
Thanks for the info!

And everyone else's thoughts.

I do all my own work so as far as work ill do it. And the kits like 120 shipped for carbon clutches gunnaa try for that. See how it works sure ill be posting about it and Cal trac install when it happens

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
Ill have to check that out in tech section

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
This. Also, you can leave out the friction modifier. It lets the clutches slip some to reduce chatter. Leave it out and it'll grip better.

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
This. Also, you can leave out the friction modifier. It lets the clutches slip some to reduce chatter. Leave it out and it'll grip better.
i actually heard that myself, i called ford racing and they said it will wear out faster but create a more positive locking diff.

thanks

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
i actually heard that myself, i called ford racing and they said it will wear out faster but create a more positive locking diff.

thanks
Lot of guys will add 1 or 2 oz of friction modifier vs. the full 4 oz. You can start with a little and add a touch until it "differentiates" around corners yet holds tight under full throttle.

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
Lot of guys will add 1 or 2 oz of friction modifier vs. the full 4 oz. You can start with a little and add a touch until it "differentiates" around corners yet holds tight under full throttle.
Very true thanks for the input man!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals