• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trouble Starting..

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
So in these past few days, my bronco II decided to not start on me, with just one CLICK. i replaced the distributor cap n rotor, and just last night, i replaced the starter, it sounded as if it did not have enough volts coming from the battery to get it going. It sounded like a higher pitched noise trying to fire... I charged the battery overnight still the same result. Now im starting to think i may have messed up the order of plugs leading onto the new dist. cap. I lost track of a few, so i found this diagram in the tech library, and followed it identically.

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/2_9_firingorder.gif

A little help? this is my daily driver would love to get it up n running asap, ill get a video of what it sounds like when i get off work later.

*EDIT*** link to video (just listen) here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FOdTTm95w

Last edited:

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
If it only clicked and didn't even try to turn over I would start by, checking to see if the battery is charged and still good. Then cleaning the battery terminals. If that doesn't fix it check that the Positive wire from the battery to the starter solenoid is in good shape. Then the Positive wire from the starter solenoid to the starter is in good shape. And last but not least checking that the Negative wire from the battery is in good shape and is connected to a good ground.

If it Does crank over is it getting fuel and spark?

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If it only clicked and didn't even try to turn over I would start by, checking to see if the battery is charged and still good. Then cleaning the battery terminals. If that doesn't fix it check that the Positive wire from the battery to the starter solenoid is in good shape. Then the Positive wire from the starter solenoid to the starter is in good shape. And last but not least checking that the Negative wire from the battery is in good shape and is connected to a good ground.

If it Does crank over is it getting fuel and spark?
yea the wire's where the first that i've check, all seemed fine, and in good condition. Yes, it is cranking over since i put on the new starter. I smell a bit of fuel, but i feel as if maybe my ignition module may be dead ? im not sure if that would prevent the engine from starting.. managed to get that video i mentioned, just listen.

i've uploaded a small clip on youtube. here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FOdTTm95w

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
It sounds to me like the timing is off. One thing that I have found to be pretty common is that people will pull the distributor out to replace the ignition module. And when they do they never seem to put it back in right. So what I would do is pull #1 spark plug and find TDC (Top Dead Center) Between the compression stroke and power stroke. Once you have #1 at TDC pull the cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing to the number one plug wire. Then just follow the diagram you posted a link to. I hope this makes sense.

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds to me like the timing is off. One thing that I have found to be pretty common is that people will pull the distributor out to replace the ignition module. And when they do they never seem to put it back in right. So what I would do is pull #1 spark plug and find TDC (Top Dead Center) Between the compression stroke and power stroke. Once you have #1 at TDC pull the cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing to the number one plug wire. Then just follow the diagram you posted a link to. I hope this makes sense.
Makes alot of sense actually, thank you i will try this when i get off work later, i need to replace the ignition module regardless (it's been dying at stoplights, drive threws etc, for the past few months lol. especially when it's hot out) so ill do it all at once... Thanks, this is my first car i've worked on, fixed everything myself, but i still have alot to learn haha. thanks again ill get back to you later today.

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
so from where the rotor was pointing, i started with #1 plug, and followed the firing order clockwise... it sounds a bit different, however it's still not starting.. here's another video. if you listen closely there's a small "thump thump thump" in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIVdkWhYxlI

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Well it sounds alot better now. Now make sure you have spark and fuel. (make sure you have pressure at the fuel rail) And as far as the thump goes I can hardly hear it and cant think of what it could be from.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like it's turning over good.
Have you confirmed fuel and spark?
Fuel; check Schrader valve on fuel rail, looks like a tire valve, is on the passenger side [on my vehicle] buried a little under wires.
One way to check for spark is insert a key in the spark-plug boot and get the key to rest 1/4" away from metal, should be a bright blue spark while turning over.
Good luck,

Richard

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No i have not, it smells like fuel is not the problem, i will try all of that when i get off work.. As far as the Spark Plug boot goes.. not too familiar with that terminology, where is that located ? I've looked on the forums for some visual help, can seem to find any pictures explaining how to check for spark n fuel.

Like i said before, this is my first car i've gotten this far under the hood, however it's all been pretty simple thus far. So im not to sure on what you mean.

Thanks again for your time.

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
***UPDATE*** So, i just tested the fuel pressure on the schraeder valve, showed only 10psi... im assuming i need atleast 35-40 correct? any idea of what may cause this? the fuel pump sounds as if its doing its job when i turn the key on (Buzzing sound)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
fuel filter is the cheapest option..

the 86 b2 i think has 2 pumps.. so if you hear one but the other aint working-- you're still not doing good! one in take pump, and one on the frame rail under the driver seat area-ish, i actually can't think of where it is at the moment! lol.

good luck.. remember, fuel filter; and there are 2 pumps.

edit: wait, when you had 10 psi, was that what it jumped to when you turned the key on w/ that little boost of gas? or is that what is was with it just sitting there???

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i just replaced the fuel filter about a month ago.

No, when i turned the key it went to 10psi.

Theres also no spark, so im going to try and replace the ignition coil tomarrow, and ill get back to you. however i feel like gas may still be an issue

*edit* and as far as the one in the tank, would that really present such a problem to where it wouldn't start? i plan on doing so, but not anytime soon (few months)

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If either pump is weak or bad it's not gonna work right. The in tank pump is the pick up pump, it's to get the fuel out of the tank and to the other pump that is the high pressure pump.
Or something like that lol. It's been awhile since I've had fuel problems. I'm just trying to help with the best of my memory.

2tonebrown1986b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
haha forsure thanks, im gunna look into that, now i still believe my ignition coil is responsible for VERY little spark, so im gunna go replace that today and go from there. im gunna do another gas test later on, maybe my brother is retarded and its fine (i hope lol)

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I started working on cars I mixed up the wires I knew they were right and they weren't.Recheck them a lot.Try squirting a little gas in the intake and if it starts you know your barking up the right tree.When my fuel pump in the tank quit the car got vapor lock on hot days.It sounds like maybe your having trouble with your hi pressure pump with ten pounds pressure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals