• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gkn shaft rebuild

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone done any work on a GKN style rear shaft? Mine works great and is a daily driver seeing almost no offroad action (the occasional trip to the beach). But, I recently discovered a torn boot and would like to just do a boot replacement on it, not replace it with a new shaft. Do they come apart like a CV shaft on you typical front drive? Bronco Graveyard sells me everything I could possibly need for like $30, which seems like a much better option to me than a drop in $300 replacement or trying to fab something up.
Thanks!

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
GKN shafts are typically considered non-rebuildable items. I don't know if anyone has ever been able to find the ends or components.

Have any local driveline shops? They usually can build a stronger shaft for far less than a parts store wants for one.

89Dog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have had mine completely apart, cleaned and re-greased. They do come apart without too much issue - very messy though. The boot it a little tricky.
Mine had some slop in it, and when disassembled I found the inner portion was worn where the balls sit. Seeing that both ends are the same, I installed in the opposite direction, and change meant that the balls were riding in a different area, and now the play in the shaft is gone.
Been running it for a year now, but waiting for it to break any day. Always carry a 12mm 12 point wrench for when it dies.

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thanks dog, that's what Iwas looking for!

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Follow up

I got my boots in from Bronco Graveyard, (thanks guys!) and finally got the chance to install them today. It went pretty well once I figured out how they came apart, here's the play by play.

pull the large opening of the boot off the outer housing and peel back for access
remover the larger outer snap ring (found on the inside edge of the outer housing)
slide the outer housing off the cv assy
pull the snap ring off the end of the shaft at the inner race
slide inner race off
remove boot and protector
install new boot and fold over itself for access
replace inner race and bearing assy
re install snap ring
reinstall outer housing
reinstall outer snap ring
slide boot into place and install protector with clamp
slide inner boot into groove

A couple tips-
don't forget the grease
order yourself everything Graveyard sells, I cheaped out on the inner race and could have eliminated some slop with new ones
don't forget to put some timing marks on the shaft and the outer to put them back together in the same spot

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you take pics?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
always expect that question...
We're like cave men, we don't just want the fire side story, we wanna see ya do it......

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals