• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad week for the bronco

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I've had some pretty bad luck over the last week. On Saturday night, someoone told me my bronco smelled like gas, so I went to check it out. Nothing dripping, no puddles but it did smell a little like fresh gas. So I tried to start it, and gas started spewing onto the ground. Got under and saw it leaking where the fuel line goes into the filter. Keep in mind I'm in the parking garage at my college. I thought no big deal, I'll get a new filter tomorrow, cut the lines, hose clamp it on, and it'll get me home. So I go back to my room, call my dad and let him know, then go back to check on the bronco, which is still dripping fuel. I put a bucket under it (2 1/2 gallon) and pinched the line right behind the filter with vise grips. Well the dripping didn't stop, so I'm on the phone with dad tryin to figure out how it can be possibly leaking fuel. Suddenly, he cant hear me anymore, but I can hear him. Microphone on my phone died. So the bucket is filling up, I have no phone its nine at night. I had to tell the GA of my dorm so I could use her phone to get a tow truck and get to a garage. None of the towing places answer. So she calls my campus police department and we meet the police in the parking garage. They end up calling a wrecker and the fire department because there was so much fuel on the ground. It goes to the garage Monday where the guy puts in a new section of line, new connectors and a new filter for $241 bucks. Picked it up last night, started the 5 minute drive back to campus and about 2 miles from the garage, the motor just shuts off. I dropped it neutral and tried to start it, nothin. So thankfully I could coast along a little into someones front yard. Called the shop and they guy came to look at it. After some diagnosing it was determined the fuel pump is bad, and I need another tow back to the garage (sounds a little fishy to me but i'm between a rock and a hard place here). He's working on it today, and it will be another 400 bucks. So I'm spendin about 650 plus a 85 and 75 dollar tow. This week blows.

jhammel85

man..I'm really sorry to hear it.

And the fact that the pump is dead seems odd too.

Frankly, you could of pulled the fuel pump relay and had ran it dry or just relieved the pressure at the regulator and had it stop leaking (at least after a while)

I feel for you though...Don't these things happen when you REALLY don't need them to? I hope your back on the road soon!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
man i'm glad i do my own mechanic work... and we have a car dolly

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
The thing I don't understand about the dripping is why it kept dripping. When the rollback left, one of the officers had him take the bucket of gas, which had at least 2 gallons in it (easily 3/4 full). Does the system really hold 2 gallons outside of the tank? It seemed to me like it was siphoning somehow but I wasn't sure. And it is nice to do your own work, if I did this myself it would have been about 200 bucks in parts. I'm 75 miles from home with limited sockets and only the standard ford jack, nor ramps or jackstands. It really is a helpless feeling knowing that the garage is your only way home. I did pick it up tonight, total bill was $630. I'm just hoping to make the drive home tomorrow night.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The filter is lower than the lowest part of the tank. It will siphon out.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I knew it would siphon, so I pinched the line with vise grips about 2 inches behind where the line connects to the filter. After that , at least 2 gallons still managed to drip out. The only thing I can think of is if it siphoned out of the return line, but I'm not sure if thats possible.

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
Transmission
Manual
When my feul pump went out in my b2 i replaced it and such and it ran great for about a day then would run and idle but thats it. well 6 injectors later thought i fixed the problem WRONG then replaced the feul lines from tank all the way forward and filter WRONG agian. Finally replaced the feul pressure regulator and everything is perfact so maybe want to get that done to along with feul pump

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I don't wanna hear that talk I just got it back tonight and need to get home tomorrow! In a 23 year old vehicle, it doesn't hurt to replace anything.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
doesn't hurt anything, except your wallet... now if you have the money to replace everything, then why are you driving a 23 year old "worst 4x4 of all times" hahahahaha

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Ya know I just don't wanna be flashy with my money...petersens can kiss my ass...the ironic thing is I actually met Pewe, he said bronco ii's arn't bad and gave me two or three stickers and a front license plate. I work on the ferry that they couldn't cross in 2010 because of low water.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals