• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EB Coils won't work on TTB?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Guys I emailed James Duff asking about their EB 5.5 progressive springs for my '85 ranger. Their response was that the EB 5.5 progressive coils will not work on my TTB axle. They did not give any suggesstions to what would for. I'm trying to achieve 5-6" of lift.

If EB coils won't work, what options are out there to achieve this amount of lift on a TTB? I only need the coils. I have order the pivot drop bracket seperately.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
they can work.

but

you have to build custom canted/angled lower seats so they wont flop out on you. and the ride height of the final lift you will have to adjust regardless. the correlation for the eb lift rating and ttb lift rating is not the same.

more importantly...the vehicle will not handle the same and could become unstable and unsafe.

the ttb axle has a higher lever ratio and an operating arc that the eb does not. to operate correctly and keep down jacking on the road you need a higher ppi rating with the ttb over a straight axle.. or some air bags to adjust the rate in a softer spring.

I was using bags with soft coils so I could get maximum trail travel and be good on the road. this requires knowledge of how the ttb works and needs to be aligned. to make proper use of soft coils you need longer radius arms and custom steering. these things are not necessarily overly complicated or expensive to the initiated, but can be unachievable for a beginner.

in your case look to skyjacker or bds for the correct springs.

I strongly suggest a complete skyjacker kit and a superlift super runner steering system for a 6 in ttb lift. jeffs bronco graveyard carries ttb stuff...but superlift and bds I think are what they deal with.

if you have to ask this question, it will be a awesome way to invest the money and achieve your lift goals..

duff don't see the point in going over 3 in of lift on a ttb ranger....and for good reasons. but their 3 in drops...radius arms and 5.5 superlift spring with 3 degree bushings work out pretty well.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I strongly suggest a complete skyjacker kit and a superlift super runner steering system for a 6 in ttb lift
Worked well for me. I'm enjoying the results of this configuration.

click here

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
James Duff apparently still hasn't seen the light with TTB suspensions. So they vehemently discourage you from using non-TTB parts on them.
That's unfortunate too because there was a fellow on here a few years back that worked for Duff who tried to do some things with the TTB (researching it for a new kit I assume), but he failed to heed much of the advice that was given to him about setting up the steering properly.

If you haven't read already, the steering has BY FAR the greatest potential to make or break a TTB project with lighter-rate springs. If the angle of the linkage isn't correct (in particular, the angle of the tie-rods relative to the axle beams), you're likely to encounter issues with the suspension jacking and squatting during acceleration and braking due to bumpsteer (not to mention the atrocious handling and squealing tires).

This issue is also far more common than many people realize.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/MaximumFlexForTheTTB.htm

As for EB coils, yes they do work (quite well actually), but as Bobby mentioned, some mods to the coil mounts are needed.
I would suggest purchasing Duff's dual shock coil towers as this should make installing the upper end of the coils a bolt-in affair (the dual shocks will also offer better control of the body roll inherent with lighter-rate springs). You still will need to mod the lower mounts on the axle though (and depending what radius arms you have, adding another lower mount for the 2nd shock).
Another user here modified a set of Duff EB lower coil mounts with good success (thread here) though unfortunately all of the pics got lost when Photobucket pulled their BS some months ago. There still is some good reading in the thread text though).

Since you have a reg cab, Jeep Cherokee XJ coils are another option you might look into. They are a little lighter-rate than EB coils (230PPI vs 300 or so), so they work well on non-Supercab trucks. I run Skyjacker 6" XJ coils on my BII for maybe a bit over 5" lift. On a Reg cab Ranger I'd expect to see around 4.5" out of them (which should work well with a set of 4" axle brackets)

IMO, linear rate coils are best for TTB suspensions (variable or progressive rate coils tend to restrict your uptravel during articulation more than is necessary).

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 4x4junkie!! This is very helpful!

For the simplicity I think I'll go with the xj coils. I love the idea of the Duff dual shock and coil bucket but I want to get this project completed asap so I can order wheels and tires. The Duff route may be a project later down the road.

With that said, do you think 4.5" of lift will clear 33" tires? Or should I go with skyjacker's 6" coil for the ranger? Skyjacker emailed me saying they would use the 136 6" coil springs. Are you happy with your setup?

I value your opinion on this subject!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The XJ coils are the same diameter as EB coils (minus the top half-turn that bends inward), so your stock mounts will still need modifications to use them. You can see what I did to mine on my BII page... You shouldn't need to extend them up 2" as I did if you use 4" axle brackets, but they still will need a tab to support the coil at the top so it doesn't bow outward. I think the JD mounts would still save a lot of effort while installing XJ coils as well, only thing being you might have to modify the coil retainer slightly.

Skyjacker's #136 coils certainly would be the easier way to go, but compared to XJ or EB coils, they are much firmer and will allow maybe a bit over half as much suspension articulation.
I have #136 coils on my Ranger. They are probably the best you'll be able to do while staying with a TTB-specific coil.

4.5" lift and 33s will likely need very minor fender trimming at the bottom corners to clear when you flex it out offroad. I strongly recommend trimming fenders (or use of a small body lift) over going above 4" lift on your suspension brackets due to the steering issue I already mentioned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals