• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just Don't learn...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I figured you would have rust issues in Mississippi as well just from the humidity. I'm thinking my 84 Bronco 2 came from Utah where lots of salt is used on the roads in the winter, as I have major rust issues, but mainly on the passenger side is where its the worst.

RandyZie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Could be worse. I just tore up my carpet. I don't have a floor on the drivers side at all. But I believe the previous owner left the window down when they parked it, so that didn't help.

northern Michigan, so we have salt on the roads even in summer ;missingteeth;

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My driver's side floor board needs welded back in completely, need to find someone locally with a good welder to do so, looks like it broke right at the seam. But it will be fixed here soon I hope. Then I can get the alignment mess finished that I didn't have money for when I got the new tires so I had to park it until I could get the alignment fixed so I don't destroy my new tires. Its coming along slowly, this winter it will be in the shop to have the rear main and front main seals replaced.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a couple more hours in today. *Pulled the left fender and inner fender. *It wasn't bad under the Sport trim, no rust just not very pretty.

That'll get a coat of Durabak once I get the suspension swapped and put her back together.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
that rust makes me cringe... I'm such a Missippi Boy, we don't get rust like that.
What's really sad is that this is about as clean a BII as you're likely to see up here. The fact that it looks this good after sitting for 12 years in Chicago is unbelievable.

If I get a chance, I'll post pics of my current truck. The cancer sucks.

As soon as I get everything off and out of the way, I'll be hitting the frame and any rust that I can see with a media blaster and swabbing it down with Por 15. The new core support is going to get Durabak to keep it from being a problem down the road.

If I had done this when I got the first truck, I wouldn't have to be doing this one. But then, I didn't have the time to work on the last one. She had to go to work the day I bought her, and she's had little down time in the last 17 years.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I understand what's involved in the repairs needed to the body of my B2, because my local body shop owner told me how it should be done properly, which is exactly what I want, to have the job done professionally and done the right way. I do not have a shop to work in so if the weather is bad, so is what I'm working on.
You're right to want it done right, and I wouldn't compromise, either. If I didn't think I could do this the right way, I'd pass it along to someone who could.

The only thing that I could really use is a garage, but I'm used to working on stuff in all kinds of weather, and if the cold holds off, I should be able to get this done before things get really bad.

I've got a sample chip coming from Durabak to see if the red is close enough, or if I'm going to do the bottom in black. Right now, I'm planning white for the top, and black for the bumpers and spare tire carrier.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just a quick update.

Things get busy here from Wednesday night through the weekend.

I picked up a small soda blaster at Harbor Freight, along with a couple new sets of jack stands and a cheap HVLP paint gun.

Had the grandson on Saturday and hit the Kid Rock/ZZ Top concert tonight.

Very little time for the truck.

I did get the trim off the left side of the truck. I'm amazed that there is no rust at all under all that plastic. I'm pretty much just going to have to fill the screw holes and take care of a few flaws in the paint before I hit it with Durabak.

I should have time to get the right fender and trim off tomorrow, along with some more pics.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok...got the right fender off, as well as most of the trim on the right side. Found a previously un-cataloged spot of popcorn on the lower corner of the fender. It's still in the the range of the planned Durabak, so that's good. Lower panels under the Sport trim is still excellent. No rust at all, and minimal body filling required to get it ready for the top coat.

I promised pics, so here they are. Obviously, I'm working in tight quarters so they aren't panoramic, but I promised pics...

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Core support is on back order (3-4 weeks) from JBG. Got my goodies from Eastwood, though.
I'm going to keep on keepin' on, but not a lot to take pics of.

magnifico12312

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bumper

I cant believe it has the tubular rear bumper, I have never seen that on another B2 before besides my 88. Very interesting.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I cant believe it has the tubular rear bumper, I have never seen that on another B2 before besides my 88. Very interesting.
Where did you get your bumper?

This one has been hit, so it's going away. (already in ths scrap pile...)

I'm designing a bumper with a spare tire carrier to replace it, and I'll have my local shop weld it up.

Progress has been slow, but steady.

The rear axle is out and all the brackets are off. I got most of the front cut off this weekend, and I expect to finish up next.

I need to figure out a way to get the body off the frame, so that I can do mounts. I have all my jack stands and various "support" materials tied up, and can't really afford to spend any money on extras if I'm going to get her on the road before winter.

I guess I'll figure it out.

More to come...

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a little more done yesterday, before the rain. All the bracketry is cut off (front and rear), as well as the skidplate for the xnfer case.

i just got word from JBG that the core support is back in stock, and I hope to have that by next weekend.

I need to get the new mounts made for the core support and get the new body bushings ordered from Duff.

Money has been tight, so it's just dribs and drabs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals