• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsion Bars Already Cranked??

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 ranger xlt 4x4. It has the stock 245/75 16 tires on it. I found the ride harsh from the front so I had some new Monroe shocks installed. Didn't help all.
...Buddy at work said my front torsion bars are probably cranked up. I bought the truck used last year. The front measures 34" from the ground to the wheel well. The rear measures 36.50". The truck has no fender flares. Can anyone here tell me by the measurements if they are indeed cranked?
Thanks

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
My 98 is around 35 3/4 in the front and 36 in the back. I cranked my torsion bars around a 1 3/4. So I would say yours are not cranked. Usually our trucks are around 2 inches higher in the back from the factory. The ride quality before was rough already. I noticed no difference in ride quality after the crank. I previously had a 98 2wd ranger and the ride quality on the 4x4 was much much stiffer. Try airing your tires down a little bit also. I did put rancho extended shocks on the front of my 4x4 that were made specifically for a raised height in our rangers. Shocks have stops in them to keep them from pulling apart from being over extended. Usually if you raise the front end on our trucks the ride gets rougher because the shocks are limiting out.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...would it help to put some of those rancho shocks for extended lifts in even if the torsion bars are not cranked? Maybe the " blue " Monroe shocks I had installed are garbage. They were also on the truck when I bought it. When I first had them installed..the front end was a little smoother over the bumps. But within a few hundred miles, the ride got harsh again.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I put the extended shocks on before I cranked the front end up because I knew at some point I was going to do it. So the extended shocks will not bottom out without the crank. If you want to put some good shocks on there go with a set of bilsteins 5100 series they are pretty sweet. I have not had good luck with the lower end monroe shocks.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...would it help to put some of those rancho shocks for extended lifts in even if the torsion bars are not cranked? Maybe the " blue " Monroe shocks I had installed are garbage. They were also on the truck when I bought it. When I first had them installed..the front end was a little smoother over the bumps. But within a few hundred miles, the ride got harsh again.
Well, hate to burst your bubble but monroe shocks are JUNK......:icon_idea: I had purchased the best one they make for my Ranger and every damn one leaked in 20k ish miles........ took them off and just replaced with Bilsteins....:icon_hornsup: yes, they are pricey. But do u wanna replace shocks every 6 month? Or every year? I would look into maybe top of line Kyb or Bilstein myself...:icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals