• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 2.3 Alternator bracket

Google

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to put a new belt on my truck, broke the belt tensioner off ( yay! )
Ford in their infinite wisdom used a T50 torx to hold it on. Broke 3 torx bits trying to get it out ( yay! )
Took the entire bracket out, was going to use a cut off wheel to cut what was left of it off and get some vice grips on the bolt. In the process, broke the entire end off of the bracket ( yay! )

Where do I get one of these damn things? I went to the not-so-local junk yard to find one. All of the same year rangers there, they were gone. Went to a couple years newer, bracket has changed a LOT ( even though it's still the 2.3 motor ). Checked ebay. No luck. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one? Other than the stealership..... I will go to the stealership if I have to, as this truck pays the bills.. But I am not so broke as I NEED to have it today, but I am getting bored sitting around all day.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Where are you located? There's a handful of trucks I suspect are suitable donors in Detroit self-serve junkyards.

I say this based on 92 and 93 both using the side-mount alternator, and there being a 93 that I know has the bracket on it. I do not otherwise know if 92 and 93 share the same bracket, I only see in parts interchanges that they use the same alternator.

Google

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where are you located? There's a handful of trucks I suspect are suitable donors in Detroit self-serve junkyards.

I say this based on 92 and 93 both using the side-mount alternator, and there being a 93 that I know has the bracket on it. I do not otherwise know if 92 and 93 share the same bracket, I only see in parts interchanges that they use the same alternator.
About 45 minutes west of Cleveland.

The 92 I have, has a different water pump on it than the newer models I was looking at. The pump on mine has a hose coming off of it that goes for the heater. The newer ones do not. Because the newer ones do not, there is actually a hole in the bracket for the water pump. Here is a picture of the * slightly * newer one ( left ) and mine ( right ). Not to mention the bolt holes LOOK like you could use 2 of them and possibly drill a 3rd, but I found out that you can't. The bracket on the newer one, all of the holes are flush on the block. Not the case with the 92. It looks like they fixed the " breaking off " problem with the newer one for the belt tensioner, as on the newer one, that section is considerably more sturdy. They also made this bracket so the 2 coil packs mount on it. The old one, they are on their own separate plate.

EDIT: I have looked at alternators from all of the 90's rangers, and they all seem to be pretty similar from what I remember. I think the 3.0 and 4.0 might use a different one, but I can't remember for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
This is good to know (about the coil packs mounting on the alternator bracket) since there is another member looking to figure out how to mount his coil packs (Johnnboiranger22)...I wasn't sure how they were fastened since my engine came already assembled.

I broke an aluminum bracket on the original 88 and could not find another one anywhere...I did eventually find on in a Texas warehouse but they wanted $100 plus shipping and currency exchange...a $5 part became an expensive investment for someone with limited funds.

Anyway...carry on~!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
goog:About 45 minutes west of Cleveland.

As they say, "There's your problem, lady." ... Just kidding. Avon Lake? Lakewood? Toledo? At least you are escaping the 'lake effect' snow that will / has hit Shaker Heights, Delyria, and Erie, PA.

The only source I can think of for a 25+ year old part is a boneyard. You might luck out finding NOS at a dealership that has a web presence, if you could get the Ford part number. A last thought is check Mazda dealers & look for B2300's in boneyards.
I am so far South from Cleveburg, the Mistake by the Lake, they don't even have snow shovels here! (Yay!) I've been gone from there since 1977, and don't miss it. Much. Just the people.
If you went to the later model bracket, you'd have to figure out how to attach newer components. I don't have one, to know what bolts onto the bracket, but the block & head are the same, but it may be some holes would need drilling and tapping to mount the newer style. That's all I have.
tom

Added: Are you sure it is a 92? I didn't think anything lasted more than 5-6 years with all the salt they used. It rotted the bottom of the door on my 3-year old car that only saw a year in Cleve and then was in California.

Google

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
goog:About 45 minutes west of Cleveland.

As they say, "There's your problem, lady." ... Just kidding. Avon Lake? Lakewood? Toledo? At least you are escaping the 'lake effect' snow that will / has hit Shaker Heights, Delyria, and Erie, PA.

The only source I can think of for a 25+ year old part is a boneyard. You might luck out finding NOS at a dealership that has a web presence, if you could get the Ford part number. A last thought is check Mazda dealers & look for B2300's in boneyards.
I am so far South from Cleveburg, the Mistake by the Lake, they don't even have snow shovels here! (Yay!) I've been gone from there since 1977, and don't miss it. Much. Just the people.
If you went to the later model bracket, you'd have to figure out how to attach newer components. I don't have one, to know what bolts onto the bracket, but the block & head are the same, but it may be some holes would need drilling and tapping to mount the newer style. That's all I have.
tom

Added: Are you sure it is a 92? I didn't think anything lasted more than 5-6 years with all the salt they used. It rotted the bottom of the door on my 3-year old car that only saw a year in Cleve and then was in California.

I live in vermilion. Yes, I am sure it's a 92. It spent its life on Kelleys Island, so it has only seen 4 winters of salt. The hood, fenders, underside, cab and bed are mostly rust free. The wheel wells on the bed and doors have a bit of rust. To give an example of how clean.. I had to change the brake booster last summer. When I went to change it, all of the solid brake lines came right out. Didn't have to change ANY of them. I am not afraid to turn any bolt on this truck because of rust.

Now that people have " enlightened" me with where they live and telling me things I have already suggested.. Still not any closer to finding an answer. Like I said before, cost isn't much of a concern. I have checked ebay and seen that some have sold on there. Cleveland pull a part has a bunch of rangers, even ones as old as mine ( and older), but they were all gone when I was there last week. If someone has a local junk yard they can get one from, I will pay them to get it. Even if it is $100+. I am even open to the option of pulling an entire slightly newer engine and rebuilding it if I have to. I've had the motor out of this truck twice, I'm not scared to do it again.

Google

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is good to know (about the coil packs mounting on the alternator bracket) since there is another member looking to figure out how to mount his coil packs (Johnnboiranger22)...I wasn't sure how they were fastened since my engine came already assembled.

I broke an aluminum bracket on the original 88 and could not find another one anywhere...I did eventually find on in a Texas warehouse but they wanted $100 plus shipping and currency exchange...a $5 part became an expensive investment for someone with limited funds.

Anyway...carry on~!

Do you have any information on said Texas warehouse? I just thought about checking Craigslist to see if someone might have one on there (somewhere). Like I said, I'll pay for it if I have to. Spending a couple hundred on a truck is definitely preferable over spending several thousand for another truck.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
vermilion
Hey, that's where my 85 Country Squire came from. Got it from the American couple that owned it from their vacation spot on Pelee Island (which is of course Canadian). Recognize it?

These guys are in Toledo, I've been there once, not a bad yard. They do appear to have a 92 2.3 currently. http://www.cherrypickedparts.com/

Detroit isn't too bad of a trip from where you are, provided you've got wheels other than the Ranger of course.

These guys are in Belleville, MI. Not quite as far as Detroit, kinda. http://www.foxautoupull.com/

These guys, their inventory IS out of date. But they do have a 93 2.3, which I took a bunch of stuff off. http://ryanspickapart.com/

I'm sure there have to be more options down in OH. Just offering up what I know though.

Google

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, that's where my 85 Country Squire came from. Got it from the American couple that owned it from their vacation spot on Pelee Island (which is of course Canadian). Recognize it?

These guys are in Toledo, I've been there once, not a bad yard. They do appear to have a 92 2.3 currently. http://www.cherrypickedparts.com/

Detroit isn't too bad of a trip from where you are, provided you've got wheels other than the Ranger of course.

These guys are in Belleville, MI. Not quite as far as Detroit, kinda. http://www.foxautoupull.com/

These guys, their inventory IS out of date. But they do have a 93 2.3, which I took a bunch of stuff off. http://ryanspickapart.com/

I'm sure there have to be more options down in OH. Just offering up what I know though.

I lived on Kelleys Island for a while, so I have been to Pelee.

I will check with the people you suggested. I would rather let the internet do the walking ( if I can ). But I can hop in my much newer, more reliable Chevy snow pusher if I have to make a day trip out of it :derisive:

Here is a picture of said truck I am working on right now, a little over 4 years ago. Like I said, for being in northern Ohio, and in this picture still 20+ years old, it's clean enough to keep fixing for a bit longer.

Attachments

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks a lot cleaner than my 85...so that's something.

Completely forgot to mention Parts Galore. Not sure how I overlooked that. 3 yards, 2 within Detroit and the third is a bit further south. http://www.parts-galore.com/

I have no recommendations for "full service" yards...e.g. where they pull the parts...I have too much fun roaming the yards myself to ever want to pay someone else to rob me of that experience :)

Post here once you find a solution. If I don't see that you have yet by the next time I go to a yard, I'll see if I can confirm something's available that will work for you. At least that way you'd know for sure before making the journey. I would offer to pull one and ship it but the cost would be unfavourable, coming from my side of the border. I live in Windsor.

Google

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks a lot cleaner than my 85...so that's something.

Completely forgot to mention Parts Galore. Not sure how I overlooked that. 3 yards, 2 within Detroit and the third is a bit further south. http://www.parts-galore.com/

I have no recommendations for "full service" yards...e.g. where they pull the parts...I have too much fun roaming the yards myself to ever want to pay someone else to rob me of that experience :)

Post here once you find a solution. If I don't see that you have yet by the next time I go to a yard, I'll see if I can confirm something's available that will work for you. At least that way you'd know for sure before making the journey. I would offer to pull one and ship it but the cost would be unfavourable, coming from my side of the border. I live in Windsor.

I emailed Cherry Picked Parts. I have an appointment early afternoon, so I think I am just gonna take my tools with me and head out there after my appointment. I also have fun roaming around the yards. I always tell myself I am only gonna be there for an hour or so, it always turns into 3+ hours every time. I am pretty bad ( or good? ) for robbing parts and selling them on ebay... and I always leave with a pocket full of fuses :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Do you have any information on said Texas warehouse? I just thought about checking Craigslist to see if someone might have one on there (somewhere). Like I said, I'll pay for it if I have to. Spending a couple hundred on a truck is definitely preferable over spending several thousand for another truck.
Can't remember exactly but all junkyards (apparently) can tie into a North American wide network of scrap yards that stock parts and I've even had Canadian wreckers tap into this network and find parts for me. The price of shipping can be a major problem for larger items though.

If you are going to a yard or can call one just ask them to track a part down and see what they come up with.

I emailed Cherry Picked Parts. I have an appointment early afternoon, so I think I am just gonna take my tools with me and head out there after my appointment. I also have fun roaming around the yards. I always tell myself I am only gonna be there for an hour or so, it always turns into 3+ hours every time. I am pretty bad ( or good? ) for robbing parts and selling them on ebay... and I always leave with a pocket full of fuses :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
I always used to show them what I scavenged at the front desk and they'd wave off anything like fuses, light bulbs, rubber stuff, and wires...except for complete harnesses...I only found a few places that got serious about small stuff and I usually didn't go back to them.

Most were really good about it and they made far more from me than I got in free stuff.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That network would be car-part.com (and I think there's another one too), but the problem is, you can only view inventoried parts from full service yards.

Maintaining the inventory list at a self-serve is pretty much impossible. I found the radio from a '46 Packard in the engine bay of a 2000-something Honda. Inventory can't account for that :)

Row52.com is what I'd call an "up and coming" project...promising, but maybe not helpful in this specific instance.

I think it's universally understood, especially at the yards which charge an entry fee (the Detroit area ones I frequent do) that little things walk out the door. Fuses, light bulbs, radio knob...the ethics of charging money for a consumable like a used light bulb are questionable anyway. There's a relative threshold where it's too much, obviously.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That network would be car-part.com (and I think there's another one too), but the problem is, you can only view inventoried parts from full service yards.

Maintaining the inventory list at a self-serve is pretty much impossible. I found the radio from a '46 Packard in the engine bay of a 2000-something Honda. Inventory can't account for that :)

Row52.com is what I'd call an "up and coming" project...promising, but maybe not helpful in this specific instance.

I think it's universally understood, especially at the yards which charge an entry fee (the Detroit area ones I frequent do) that little things walk out the door. Fuses, light bulbs, radio knob...the ethics of charging money for a consumable like a used light bulb are questionable anyway. There's a relative threshold where it's too much, obviously.
That's it...car-part.com...my mind gets fuzzy the longer I'm out of the action.

I remember going to a scrapyard with my Dad about 45 years ago and he would get anything glass, rubber, or small items from them for some of the rebuilds he was doing. He said at the time that they are interested in scrap metal and anything that takes away from the metal quality they are happy to send out the door for nothing.

The only time the yards I went to charged a cover fee were the "all you can carry" days. I went to a few of those and was amazed at what people where strapping to their bodies...lol

I once carried out a full door, a seat, an alternator, starter and other items on bungee cords hanging off of me. I figured that one trip saved me about $200.

Ah, those were the days...:)

Last edited:

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3l is out! 4.0l is in!!!
Transmission
Manual
I have one, well looks like it will work.

Make me an offer, ill even sandblast it and paint it black for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals