• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radio noise capacitor?

mwh0428

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 2.3l ranger with the dis electronic ignition and I had a a coil go out last week when I pulled the coil off I heard something hit the ground and this was it. It looks like a condenser from an old points system. When it fell the wire cam out so i got and bigger wire and stuck it in there and it worked good for a couple days till it came out and the engine died. I looked in my hanes manual and it says that its a radio noise capacitor. Is it the same thing as a condenser or is it something else?

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Electronically it is the same thing, it smooths out voltage spikes and drops, it can absorb voltage or release voltage quickly.

It was used on points or on coil, same pathway, just different locations.
Yes, it can prevent static from ignition system interfering with AM radio reception

The word condenser for this device was dropped in the early '60s when A/C became more common in vehicles, air conditioning uses a condenser, not the electronic kind.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
As the coils use up power it creates noise measured in hertz. The capacitor keeps the voltage steady at the coils eliminating RF noise. I doubt is has anything to do with the ignition unless the capacitor is shorted internally. Measure it with a ohm meter it should read infinity or zero resistance.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Did I understand you correctly that the wire fell out of the capacitor? If that is true, sticking a wire back in it will not work very well. It probably shorted out and that is why the engine died. You need to install a new capacitor.

mwh0428

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought two condensers and they didn't work then I went to the scrapyard and got three and it still doesn't work I checked spark and I have no spark on either side of the engine. is there a way to test the crankshaft position sensor?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The CKP will have a 'bump' in signal for each 'square tooth' and a ..... for the widely gapped one.
Did you test that the coil(s) are not shorted? I believe all screws originally used must be re-installed as the multiple coils must all have ground.
On an EEC-IV, key on, there should be 12v at the coil, and when the key is moved to off, the coil(s) will drop saturation and produce spark. Nothing else required. With DIS/EDIS... read the book.
Any and all coils should produce a spark when you disconnect from the controlling device(TFI, remote TFI, etc), and apply 12v for a second and remove it.
A capacitor will 'shock absorb' current that would otherwise try to keep flowing past the 'controlling' item, such as points. A radio suppression capacitor, if removed, will allow more Buzzzzz, increasing in Hz, to be heard in the sound system(esp AM radio.)
bye
t

mwh0428

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found my issue I had a corroded wire by the left front fender and it was the wire that powers the coils.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals