• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bent axel tube

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
can you replace the axle tube on a rear end? friend son got hit and bent the rear axle tube. It looks like you can take it apart but not sure. Thanks Joey!

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
You probably can, but it will be more expensive and troublesome than going to the junkyard and grabbing another axle that isn't bent. There's always the chance it did something in the carrier, gears and housing as well. I'd say my goodbyes to that particular axle assembly.

Early trucks (1st/2nd gen - up to '92 ish or so) used a smaller pinion flange bolt pattern, Most of the Gen III's and newer all run the same, larger, size pattern.

Also on the recommendation list, if your truck didn't have the 10" drums to begin with, get them now. WAY better at stopping.

7.5" axles and the larger 8.8" axles will swap, so if you find the right ratio axle but in the different axle size, it will still work. Try to go with the 8.8", but if it means getting it back on the road, you could technically do the 7.5".

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You probably can, but it will be more expensive and troublesome than going to the junkyard and grabbing another axle that isn't bent. There's always the chance it did something in the carrier, gears and housing as well. I'd say my goodbyes to that particular axle assembly.

Early trucks (1st/2nd gen - up to '92 ish or so) used a smaller pinion flange bolt pattern, Most of the Gen III's and newer all run the same, larger, size pattern.

Also on the recommendation list, if your truck didn't have the 10" drums to begin with, get them now. WAY better at stopping.

7.5" axles and the larger 8.8" axles will swap, so if you find the right ratio axle but in the different axle size, it will still work. Try to go with the 8.8", but if it means getting it back on the road, you could technically do the 7.5".
what gears would you go with? about 500 horse power c6 trans 600 carb

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does he race it or what?

Might be time to upgrade to something other than what Ford put under a Ranger...

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Does he race it or what?

Might be time to upgrade to something other than what Ford put under a Ranger...
It's mostly for show, But sometimes a guy gets a wild hair.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
At least an 8.8, possibly larger?. Might be a good idea to look into the Explorer 8.8 swap at that point. 500 horse, regardless of any other combo will eat that poor little 7.5" for breakfast.

Can't recommend gearing unless we know what you're going for. Economy? max acceleration? combination? DD? Tire size? I have no idea what gears were offered in a C6 transmission.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
The C-6 is a hp pig. Yes, I run one, and yes its bulletproof, but you could build a C-4 to handle that kind of hp and not loose it in the transmission. I lucked out on mine as well as I needed the 31 spline output (to mate to the Dana 20 T-case) out of a 84, 150. Too many variables in FORDs equations (this transmission in this year and model, that transmission in that year and model, etc...

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
At least an 8.8, possibly larger?. Might be a good idea to look into the Explorer 8.8 swap at that point. 500 horse, regardless of any other combo will eat that poor little 7.5" for breakfast.

Can't recommend gearing unless we know what you're going for. Economy? max acceleration? combination? DD? Tire size? I have no idea what gears were offered in a C6 transmission.
It's a daily driver tires rear 295-50-15

Last edited:

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
rear end gears

whats a good ratio 8.8 for a v8 daily driver in a ranger?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That's a small tire. 26/27"? From what I (rather quickly) looked up online the C6 does not appear to have an overdrive.

so at 1:1, 3.08 gears you'd be doing ~2,724 rpm @ 70mph.

If you ordered 2.72 gears (yes, they are still made) you'd drop that down to 2,406 rpm @ 70mph.

*All information is calculated mathematically using absolute values, and may differ from actual results.*

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals