• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission needed

mudflies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone.wondering if anyone around Toronto has a good trans for my 97 4.0 standard.Mine is doing crazy things and making crazy noises...Or if someone can point me in the direction of a rebuild shop...
Thanks

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if I double posted but check kijiji and local wreckers.2 or 4 wheel drive? I spent $900 having mine rebuilt and it wasn't worth it.Are you able to replace it yourself? I'm in Barrie and will keep an eye out for you.

mudflies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi. Thanks for the reply.I am curious...you said you had one rebuilt but it wasnt worth it...Why wasnt it worth it? 900 seems like a fair price. A scrap yard just quoted me 450 $ for one with 250000 km on it...That seems excessive to me.The one i have has 320,000 on the odometer.it screams in first second third and fifth gears.it locks me into gear sometimes and locks me out sometimes.Technically it still works, but i wouldnt psy 400$ for it. Any info would be appreciated. Oh, and its a 2wd and yes i can install it myself...thanks

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey mudflies,,I suppose it was partially my fault. I removed the trans and delivered it to a local "trans guy", He Quoted $500 to open it up and around 4-$500 in parts.The issue I had was the input shaft bearing,he agreed to replace that along with syncro's I believe. You know now that I think about it that's not too bad but where I erred was getting sucked into a cash deal.I replaced the clutch, throw out and had the flywheel resurfaced. In total I spent $1500 give or take. I think I just really hate paying other people to work on my vehicles,next time I would try and repair it myself or put a used one in.I agree $450 for a used trans with 250,000 is a little much for a truck with 200,000 miles, 2-$300 would be reasonable.

mudflies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmm....seems i could find myself in a similar situation...my plan is to take it to a tranny shop and see what they say...hopefully it will only need some wire and duct tape to fix it.hahahahaha doubtfull.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals