• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to buy this twin stick 4x4 ranger info

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
twin stick:icon_confused:

yeah....i can see someone saying that about that situation. but that is not the definition of twin stick in the 4x4 world. twin stick means control of splitting power to the front or rear axle.

best ranger you can own is a man shift t case-man shift trans and 4.0 with hd jeep lockouts.

that is a 5 speed ranger with a manual t case.

Last edited:

gotmud?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
my bad i meant manual tcase and manual transmission sorry.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that is not the definition of twin stick in the 4x4 world. twin stick means control of splitting power to the front or rear axle.
So...having 2 sticks, and shifting on the fly based on traction isn't twin-sticking? My 2 gear-shifts aren't 'twin-sticks'? The ability to 'split power between the front and rear axle' kept me out of the ditch last year. ;) Why? Cause they didn't cost $7k?

Or are you jealous cause you couldn't find one?

OP, sounds like a good truck to me...if it leaks antifreeze, fill the radiator with hater tears.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
best ranger you can own is a man shift t case-man shift trans and 4.0 with hd jeep lockouts.

Also me.

Twin stick 4.0, manual hubs. Awwwww...sounds like you're jealous. :p lol

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In the pics it don't look to awful bad, I'd make sure you look over everything before making a finial offer. Looks to me like a good platform to start with but looks can be very deceiving.

That interior needs a complete cleaning and the arm rest looks broken just at a quick glance.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
twin stick:icon_confused:

that is not the definition of twin stick in the 4x4 world. twin stick means control of splitting power to the front or rear axle.

I have never heard that definition of twin sticks. How does one control splitting of the power to the front and rear axles. I know some AWD can have different percent ratio of power applied to front and rear axles but they are not typically used in hard core off-road. In the 4 x 4 world that I know, the transfer case locks the front and rear axles together with no variability in power to each. I have been driving 4WD vehicle off-road since 1977 but that doesn't mean I know everything. Maybe you know something about 4WD that you can teach me.

Everybody that sees my manual Ranger with manual t-case calls it a twin stick so I started calling it that too. If I am to start correcting them, I will need some very reliable information that they are wrong.

To the OP, I very much like my "twin stick" (two shifters) Ranger. I feel more confidence with it when I put it in gear compared to the push button style. I know the transfer case is in gear when I shift in to 4WD. One thing to note, when I shift out of gear it can hang in gear until the stress from front and rear axles equalize. So, just remember that when you shift out of gear, the transfer case may still be in gear even if the lever is in the 2WD position. I don't know if the older style "twin sticks" operate the same way.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@ jeremysdad - Putting someone down because of a lack of knowledge OR because you don't agree with their definition of a term isn't a good way to deal with disagreements. Please be kind.

When I joined this site in 2009 I knew next to nothing about 4x4's...it's why I joined. I've learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. AFAIK twin stick refers to having two transfer cases hooked together and using both sticks independantly or together, hence twin sticks. I believe that it's done with TC's of the full size variety, but couldn't begin to explain how as I don't know. When done, you can have the front axle engaged and the rear in "neutral" and vice versa, or both engaged.

Last edited:

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
@ jeremysdad - Putting someone down because of a lack of knowledge OR because you don't agree with their definition of a term isn't a good way to deal with disagreements. Please be kind.

When I joined this site in 2009 I knew next to nothing about 4x4's...it's why I joined. I've learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. AFAIK twin stick refers to having two transfer cases hooked together and using both sticks independantly or together, hence twin sticks. I believe that it's done with TC's of the full size variety, but couldn't begin to explain how as I don't know. When done, you can have the front axle engaged and the rear in "neutral" and vice versa, or both engaged.
I agree. That is the accepted definition of 'twin-stick'.

However...don't be a dick and phrase shit wrong, (guy that isn't Alwaysfloored,) or I'll call you out on it. I first joined in 2002.

He was being an ass, ADSM wasn't on, and I called his idiocy. I stand behind what I said. :)

samwyse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had an '86 with the electronic transfer case, I much prefer my '88 with manual. As mentioned above, you know when it's engaged for sure. Mine had a fun little habit of turning off on its own when first engaged, you had to wait 4 seconds and then turn it back on. Just less gremlins with manual.

FloridaRanger89

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L going 302
Transmission
Manual
Twin stick would be when you have two separate shifters that function with the transfer case such as an NP205. Therefore, if you had a manual transmission you would have three shifters to control. A Doubler is the use of two transfer cases such as a 205/203 combo and would be able to triple stick it and then have a forth selector for the transmission. In order to twin stick a 205 the rear output shift rail will need to be modified to allow the front and rear outputs to be controlled independently as the driver pleases.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That all being settled "twin stick" is only possible with certain transfer cases,
in Ford terms this this usually means Either a Dana20 from a '66-77 Bronco
or an NP205. because these T-cases have separate external controls for 2w-4w
and Hi-Lo

These transfer cases are easily "twin sticked", in fact if you are fabricating your own linkage it is easier
to twin stick them than control them any other way... as the factory sifters sequence toe manipulation
of these separate controls.

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals