• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo'n Grandpa's 88

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's a beauty build...:icon_thumby:

I'm going to have to read the whole thing some day but Photobucket is giving my computer fits again...popups and redirects...but from what I did see I definitely will tune in again soon...
Thanks Mark! :beer:
yea Photobucket is becoming a PITA these days, I run a couple blockers on Firefox but still get a popup even when I'm logged into it. I'm not a fan but makes storage and sharing to forums easy, just hate to think what would happen to forums if it went down completely...That would suck

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
China Cheader

Couple updates!
The header developed another crack an the same general location around the wastegate, the big Tail hanging off of this thin walled shit will never work, no matter how many flex couplers used, bracing, etc. and extra plumbing sucks... so making a few changes. First, get rid of the wastegate and do a better bracing system for the full weight of the turbo. No other cracks to be found after the last 4000 miles so the rest of the header is doing ok.
I just cut the WG bracing and tube close and capped it off. Added a 3/8 tab to the main flange and braced to the block with an aluminum turn buckle on heims. I figure this will support all the weight of the turbo and allow expansion/contraction. Got to let them move around just a smudge lol Tied the two top braces together because one looked it was trying to let go down at the flange before I first braced the header to the block. All re tiged up with more support
Pesky external wastegate gone... onto internal wastegate conversion
Borg Warner 6758 :D

Off to butcher up the downpipe some more! Poor thing is starting to look all cyborg lol
More to come

Last edited:

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Downpipe and Intake porting

New turbo dimensions changed things up a bit, and I thought about starting from scratch for this poor thing, but I'm out of 3"... And tired of exhaust work on this truck lol Soooo.... Just needed a little bit more of a bend and twist. Accomplished that using a a SS flex coupler, and got the bend I needed with a few slices with the band saw and a little tig work. (Found the coupler from a guy in Oregon, quality piece! Ebay user gbemandrelbending)
http://www.ebay.com/usr/gbemandrelbending
New brace after the coupler that bolts to the bellhousing, then 8" flexcoupler to the full system.
Need to put the bandages back on the freak!

HAd quite a few 2.3 folks advise that I gut the upper intake and full port the lower, so I did it. Wish I had dyno access to see the differences, gunna have to rely on the butt-dyno instead.
Lower is finished up and bolted down, have some cleanup work to do on the upper then ready to rock!

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yea Photobucket is becoming a PITA these days, I run a couple blockers on Firefox but still get a popup even when I'm logged into it. I'm not a fan but makes storage and sharing to forums easy, just hate to think what would happen to forums if it went down completely...That would suck
I have never quoted myself, feels kinda odd to do that..
But after about 24 hrs total spent trying to salvage photos, and cursing Photobuck to a special place in HELL for their brilliant ransom scam, I find myself more disappointed at myself for not seeing the writing on the wall with PhotoSuckit. That hindsight (foresight?) 20/20 stuff sucks sometimes lol.
Well I rebuilt the thread the best I could, and have some updates and failures to report on in the upcoming days, back in a bit..

Failures- Ebay T5 transmissions, China headers, rewelded china headers, rewelded and wastegate-deleted China headers...and used ditributor/oilpump drive gears..

Updates- Header! Ignition, fueling, Transmission, clutch, shifer, console, and other odds~n~ends...

black06xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Updates!
Finished up the port work on the lower, injectors all have a happy target now! Didnt go super crazy on the lower, knife-edged and gasket match the upper to lower, smoothed out all the casting flaws, will do the match to the new head when I get that completed, for now it is close.

Stock fuel rail on a 93 Ranger engine/intake manifold.. I like the total capacity it has, but its delivery volume and return capabilities kinda suck imo. So I modded it with a -04an weld bung on each end.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Male-Steel-37-Degree-AN-Flare-Weld-Bung-Fitting-4-AN,997.html
This will tie into a -06AN to two -04an y adapter then back to the 255 in the front tank. Return volume is good, but the factory barb fitting is only like 5/32 in a 3/16 id tube..Drilled factory fitting open to 3/16, restriction gone.. Using an Aeromotive 13103 1:1 regulator for a pre-93 Mustang I had from an old build, its the same mount and rail for the most part. Bonus!
Mocking up the rail..

Cut and welded shut the original feed fitting, bead blasted all the rust off the tabs and painted it up. 42lbs injectors.
On to the upper next!:icon_thumby:

what did use for the fuel pressure regulator?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals