• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 4.0 swap

OrangeMustang93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok I've done my research and now I cant find this certain info im lookin for again. I read that you can do the swap using the standard 2.9 wiring harness with the swap. if anyone has any info on this please let me know or know where I can find the info please help.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
depends on year.

gen 1 has different wiring. gen 2 90 has the same style dash and firewall connector, depending on trans and rpo options it can be plug n play for 91-92 donors though there can be differentials in the fuel pump wiring/routing and lines.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
you can use your 2.9 headlight harness, but you will need a 4.0 engine harness and computer, the 2.9 runs a distributor the 4.0l does not, they're two completely different electronic systems.
your year package and options will be helpful in steering you into the easiest swap direction

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I've done a few write-ups on this matter search babybronco89 4.0 swap should find my info on there

droland0826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Using an 89 B-2 the Donor motor is a 97 using an engine harness out of a 93. do I need to get an ECU harness also or can I stick with the existing 2.9 ecu harness

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
if your going with a 93 your going to have a lot of problems nothing is going to match up at the big white plug you'd be better off with a 90-92 ranger or explorer harness, a lot less pins to swap at the big white plug.
i believe 93 is egr too so thats even more wires to deal with!!

OrangeMustang93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok ive got an ecu and engine harness out of a 91 explorer. have engine in and harness's routed. but im not getting any fire to the fuse block inside the cab. has anyone done this swap and can help me with the splicing? such as which system I will be splicing together?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the plug on the firewall plugged in?What about the fuses in the main fuse box under the hood?Does the wiring diagram show the color that feeds the fuse box does that line up with what comes out the dash side of the plug?The things I'd be looking for anyway.

OrangeMustang93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im using the original bronco ii headlight harness with the ECU and Engine harness from the 91 explorer. I have the fuse plug connected at the fire wall. I have no fire to any of my fuses or the power distribution block. Which doesn't make any since to me, unless there is a wire somewhere that needs to be spliced in to the headlight harness somewhere, but like I said I have no fire anywhere except to the alternator.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It sounds like you need to run power to the distribution block. It should be connected to the battery side of the fender mounted relay. At least that's the way mine is...

OrangeMustang93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The only wire coming off the distribution box to the solenoid switch is the the black wire that is grounded on the one of the bolts that holds the switch on

OrangeMustang93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I'm an idiot. Had that wire grounded instead of going to the switch lol. I have two more problems now. I have fire going to my coil, but no fire out. Changed coil. Same problem. I thinking control module or or crank sensor? Also the only way to get the fuel pump to come on is to hot wire the fuel relay. Any ideas?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd check for power to the ECU at that point. It should turn the fuel pump on for two seconds when it gets power on an ignition line.

If the ECU isn't getting power that'd cause both problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals