• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ford ranger die when it get warm or hot

Blmauney89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ranger has been sitting for 3 years when i finally came home and crank her up it ran good for few day then it started to dies on me then I went and replace my 2 fuel pump and fuel filter then next day my crappy a4ld trans went bad on my ranger so I decide to do auto to TK5 manual transmission swap with stage 2 clutch and it was a success then crank her up ran for good 20 min then she dies on me....... after reading hundreds of forums and most forums say to replace the TFI module then i went and replace the modules on the distrubor on my ranger then crank her up and it sill doing same thing. And I got 10 gallon tank with aftermarket fuel pump below the tank been running good for 2 yrs before it sat for 3 years
When i turn it on the return line is flowing into tank good then after few min the return line would flow slowly then stopped and engine dies on me please help me!!!!!
1988 ford Ranger Supercab
2.9 liter V6
Cold air intake
Pacer setter header
196 hp 206 lb on dyno
TK5 transmission w/ stage 2 clutch

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well it reads like your fuel pump power is shutting down.
After the stall when you turn off the key and turn it back on do you hear the fuel pumps come on?

And how long before it will restart after this stall?

In the passenger footwell there is an inertia switch, under glove box at top of carpet it will have 1 wire IN and 1 wire OUT, and a reset button on the top.
The fuel pump power runs thru this switch.
Put a test light or volt meter on this and watch it while you drive to see if voltage is dropping(bad/corroded connection) or if voltage just cuts off suddenly.

Fuel pump power:
Battery--------fuel pump fuse(fusible link)------fuel pump relay--------inertia switch------fuel pump(splice near frame rail pump)-----in tank fuel pump

Fuel pump relay connector wires do get corroded causing the relay to open, cutting power.
The relay should be on the passenger side inner fender, it has a Green Base.

On the dual pump setup there was often a reserve bowl mounted to the frame rail, feeds the high pressure fuel pump, looks like canister fuel filter, these can get clogged up, especially if it sat for a long while.
Although I think it would cause a problem sooner than 20 minutes

Last edited:

Blmauney89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reserve bowl is clear, interia switch got good voltage even tried twisted wire together didn't help it
It would restart 10 min later.
Fuel pump is still running after truck dies

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump should shut off with the engine, computer monitors RPM via TFI module, if RPMs drop below approx. 300 computer turns off fuel pumps for safety reasons.

So that part is odd

Blmauney89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So what u think is wrong with it?

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
I would measure your actual fuel pressure, not speculate on what is making noise and why.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Engine dies on the trail on a hot day.

Working my rig hard on a hot day in the mountains the engine would sometimes die.
Would not restart until it cooled down, traced the problem to the internal fuel pump. Don't know what temp had to do with it since the pump is submerged in fuel.
I eliminated that pump and replaced the exterior pump with a high flow Holly and all has been well for the past five years.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals