• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Raise cab to do flywheel?

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When I replaced the tranny, clutch, clutch slave & master in my 2004 Ranger 2wd the shop that surfaced the flywheel didn't use the right machine. The clutch shudders when I let out the pedal. I'm thinking of this time of unbolting and raising the cab to make it easier to get at the bolts attaching the tranny to the engine. I see I'd have to disconnect the brake lines from the ABS unit. Possibly have to remove the radiator,, but I'm not sure about wiring. Are there any wiring connectors that I could just unplug while doing this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not familiar with the upper bolt placement on the 2.3l duratec in a Ranger, but raising the cab seems a bit extreme, is there not a type of tool or tools that can found to make it easier to remove them.

And just a heads up, the 2.3l duratec was designed for transverse mounting, because of this it has a coolant connection at the back of the engine, which requires transmission removal if it should leak when used in a Ranger, this is also why the upper bolts are hard to get to.
So give that coolant fitting a good look, and replace it if looks even remotely questionable.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I can't imagine the top trans bolts on a 2.3L Ranger would be worse to get at than a 4.0L Ranger. It just takes good extensions and a universal plus maybe a wobble type extension. I always tilt the rear of the engine down to make them more accessible just making sure nothing is binding that is attached to the engine. I would not even consider lifting the cab but who knows it might work.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen guys undo the body bolts and block the cab up a bit with some 2x4s to make getting the trans in and out easier. It never seemed that necessary to me. My 87 is the only one I have ever had issues with, and that was when the body bushings were shot and the cab was sitting on the frame.

Snap-On makes an extension just for getting those top trans bolts, it's expensive, but it's worth it if you do a lot of trannies. It's about 3 feet long and goes from a 1/2 to a 3/8 drive. Last time I priced one they were about $85.

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've had Lymes disease about 30 years that was diagnosed just two years ago. My arm strength is reduced and being on my back raising my arms up to do anything strenuous can be quite hard. I'm just looking for a shortcut if that exists. One mechanic mentioned that instead of raising the cab to maybe removing the engine mounts so the engine can sit lower. I might just sell it as is. There is just 4000 miles on it since it got the clutch, pilot bearing, clutch master all replaced along with the newer tranny and slave cylinder had only 1500 miles on them. There is just 8000 miles on it since I replaced the steering rack, tie rods, lower ball joints, parking brake cables, and all the rear brakes accept the drums.

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I pulled the top 2 bolts out ('04 3.0) before even putting the truck up to pull the transmission for slave cylinder. It was easier than trying to get extensions along the bellhousing. I get everything bolted up except the top 2 once it's back together and on the ground, then put the top 2 back in.

I have done it twice this way and with no vehicle lift available, just a floor jack and my driveway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals