• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle Questions...

farna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm using an Explorer axle in a hot-rod application. There is a large flange on the center section casting along the passenger side. I guess I should say it's a large reinforcing rib. There are two holes about 3/8" diameter in it where something was bolted to it. I think it was a vibration dampener? Haven't been able to find any pics.

My main question is about that flange/rib. Is it on all Explorer axles, and is it on Ranger axles as well? Is it also on the 7.5" Ranger axle? Just out of curiosity, what is bolted to it? Thought I'd ask here before doing a junk-yard crawl...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It was for a vibration damper, yes (big cast doughnut-shaped thingy mounted on a rubber bushing to a bracket that attaches to the axle)

Ranger 8.8" also has the flange/rib, though I don't think I've ever seen a damper actually bolted to one.

The 7.5" does not have a place to bolt a damper (at least the one my '90 BII had didn't)

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>

You can see the bracket for the dampner to the right of the pinion in this pic. The dampner itself is like a shock:

I think one of my 8.8's by the garage has it, I will check tomorrow, and if so will post a closeup pic.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I took one of my Explorer 8.8, IIRC there is one on my 28-spline Ranger 8.8, but my 31-spline Ranger 8.8 doesn't have one.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Some of them have the lateral shock thing, some have the ~10 pound weight, I took mine off, but I'm not going for a super smooth drive or anything fancy on my build :)

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Pinion Dampner Mount on Explorer 8.8

You can see the bracket for the dampner to the right of the pinion in this pic. The dampner itself is like a shock:

I think one of my 8.8's by the garage has it, I will check tomorrow, and if so will post a closeup pic.
==================
As promised>>>:icon_twisted:not the best pic:

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mustang 8.8's have a "dog bone" bolted to the bottom of the housing, which I'm guessing whenever the foundry made all of the housings, it was just 1 style for the time span, and just had different tubes mounted to the housings.. I took mine off on my Mustang and noticed a little difference, but figure that it doesn't seem to be quite as necessary on a small truck..

farna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My main concern is if the flange and bolt holes are on all the 8.8" axles, Ranger or Explorer. Seems like they are -- all use the same casting, which makes sense. Ford's big enough they could have a different casting for Ranger and Explorer though, so had to ask!

I'm planning on using that as part of a torque arm setup. I'm not building a high hp torque arm so don't need all the heavy bracing the current aftermarket setups for Mustangs use. Those are intended for more power than the stock suspension setup can adequately handle. All I'm intending to do is replace a stock torque tube axle in a 56-66 Rambler so a modern trans and engine can be used in the car. Thanks for the help!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let's be clear here: There are more different Ford 8.8 differential housings than you can throw a stick at.

Mustang '86-04: Have two 'ears' for the 4 link suspension, coil springs on lower suspension arms
Mustang '05-14: Have one 'ear' for the 3 link suspension; coil spring mounts on tubes
Mustang Cobra '99-03?: IRS
Explorer '90-02: Some have the mounts for the lateral shock/some have dog bone (some might have both); leaf spring under tubes
Explorer '02-10: IRS (some Al pumpkins...)
T-bird '89-97: IRS <Lincoln Mark VIII: IRS (Al pumpkin)> small (5-4.25" bolt circle on axles)
Crown Vic: Watt's link; 4 link on axle
F-150 '83-12: Springs over axle <Also Econoline and Bronco> small (6-135mm bolt circle on axles)
Ranger '86-11: Springs over axle

There are 2 different mounting flanges for drive shaft: 3.5" aka small pattern; and 4.25" aka large pattern. There are also aftermarket pinion yokes for 1310, 1330 and 1350 u-joints.

28 and 31 spline axles; 3 different axle tube bearings - (small on 28 spline, medium on 31 spline axles in Explorers and cars, large on F-150). This results in 3 different axle tube diameters.

Gotta love Ford :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals