• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radio volume EXTREMELY low

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

Havent posted in awhile, and I have a new problem (the master cylinder and fuel pump also died today, but thats a different thread) with my bone stock radio. I have a 1994 Splash, equipped with the premium cassette system (which includes the separate amp.) I removed the radio (which worked perfectly) when I upgraded to a tachometer, and it sat for maybe 8 months inside the truck. Reinstalled, it works, but the volume has to be on FULL to hear anything, and engine off only, as the volume is way too low to hear while driving. I do have the factory manual, but theres not much diagnostic help, so Im curious what I would find here, and maybe a "quick and dirty" test idea....radio or amp? Im willing to find another stock radio, aftermarket units are just too tempting for methheads........

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hmm, i have a ford factory radio out of an 88-91 crownvic that requires an amp or else its very quiet. sounds like id check ur amp out, see if its getting power. not sure if AMPs allow signals to gothru if there non operational tho.

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update

Hello again,

I decided since I couldnt convincingly test my stock stereo installed, I shipped it to Southern Electronics in VA. Called me today and said everything is functioning properly (which is great, since its only $38.00) HOWEVER im back to the original issue. Is there any way I can test the speakers without replacing them or is there something else I need to check? Almost forgot...I checked some of the wiring with my digital multimeter, and the few I checked seemed fine (both continuity and low resistance) Help!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I think Cody already identified your issue with the factory amp. Make sure the fuses are all good, and you have power going to it.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
sounds like your amp, i seriously doubt its speakers, all 4 wont go bad at once. like shane said, check your fuses and see if your amp is getting power and we will go from there.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Have your hearing tested...I had a similar problem but found out I have a 45-55% hearing loss...

Other than that...it could be your amp or it could be the wire you are using is too heavy...sound has difficulty traveling through thicker wire...

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Heyo-

Tested the amp power circuit, and I have power to the amp, and also checked some of the other wires...I will have to wait until the system arrives, and I will reassemble everything and see if any changes occurred, and update you then. Thanks for the prompt replies so far....:D

nuclassic

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sound has difficulty traveling through thicker wire...
This is incorrect, the thicker gauge the wire, the more accurate the signal is, not saying the factory speakers will be all that good though. You also might want to check and see if you nicked anything while you were installing the tach. good luck

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
on question, your setup is 100% stock correct?

ok, so the amp is getting power, thats good. IIRC, amps have a constant power source but a remote switch-on, im no expert on premium audio, but id check to see if the remote turn on is working like it should, mabey someone smart can tell you how to test.

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
on question, your setup is 100% stock correct?

ok, so the amp is getting power, thats good. IIRC, amps have a constant power source but a remote switch-on, im no expert on premium audio, but id check to see if the remote turn on is working like it should, mabey someone smart can tell you how to test.
You recall correctly, there is a wiring diagram here in the tech library (though I have the factory diagram manual here) and the radio has a "logic mute" which I believe activates the amp, driving the speakers. I tested that circuits' continuity as well, but maybe the radio isnt actually signalling the amp...it is 100% stock, including the speakers. Im going to reinstall the system when it arrives from the repair shop, and see if I can further figure things. Does anyone know if just one bad speaker would drop the whole thing, or does it matter? Thanks again for the ideas!! :icon_bounceblue:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
shouldn't stop the other 3 from working.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
yea I would say double check to make sure there is power running through the remote lead. If there is then perhaps the amp is fried? Dunno if it is getting power and a signal there isn't much more that could be wrong with the amp besides internal issues. I would check to make sure the ground is good too, in my experience it is a bad ground 90% of the time when it comes to malfunctioning amps.

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello again,

System arrived, reinstalled....aaaand I have the same issue (not surprising) now Im sorta confused where I should try now....I guess I should try to find another amp or something, but I really dont want to randomly throw parts at it....recap what I checked:

1. Checked all fuses (three are radio/amp related) checked OK
2. Checked amp/radio ground continuity and virtually no resistance in the wiring
3. Checked all harnesses (power to radio, radio to amp, and amp to speakers)
4. Pulled one speaker and checked it, both for sound and continuity, checked OK
5. Installed a different speaker on the same wire as the one I pulled, still low volume

Im sorta leaning towards the amp, the only other thing I noticed when I messed with the volume controls is that theres a "popping" when the volume is turned up....any other ideas? I guess the only other thing I can do is call the repair shop and ask them how they tested the unit, and make sure they saw full output/volume.....(?)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals