• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 DuraTec 5 speed

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I've been looking all over but have not been able to find out what 5 speed my 2003 2.3L DuraTec has connected to it. It's 2wd.
I'm trying to figure out whether it will bolt up to a 2000 4.0L SOHC Mercury out of a Mountaineer 4x4. Secondly if it will bolt up is it a survivable coupling? The difference in hp is about 60 hp.

Thanks in advance.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You have an M5OD and no it will not bolt up to the 4.0. Different bellhousing. BUT, you can find a transmission from a Ranger that has a 4.0 - it'll work great.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

5-speed manual will be M5OD-R1(M5R1)
These are engine specific, they have integrated bell housing
2.3l, 3.0l and 4.0l each had their own separate external case/bell housing, but were all M5R1s(well 4.0l used M5R1HD, extra bolt hole)

Same for 5-speed automatics, 5R44E, but bell housing can be swapped if you do partial rebuild of transmission

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I just got at 2000 Mountaineer and was thinking about swapping the drive train into the little Ranger. It's the SOHC 4.0. My truck is pristine, but after parking it for a couple months (4) it has a serious knock in the engine that wasn't there before. I'm thinking that it may have spun a main bearing.. IDK. I'd love to put a supercharged 3.8 in it. But really liked this DuraTec especially for mileage. I don't know what the problems are with the Merc, whether it's tranny or engine, it hadn't been driven in a number of months and the interior is shot. I will find out when I get it home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals