• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Rick. 1987 Ranger

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's my great battery hold down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I managed to go over to pick and pull out a full harness from the ecu back with relays, and fuse links.

I pulled it from an incredibly clean and well looked after 86 XLT. I felt bad pulling from it. From the looks of it all that's wrong is that the engine blew up. There was oil everywhere.
Since it was so clean and new to the lot I started pulling interior trim where ever I could. I may even go back and grab some more. There was some other good wiring and trim I'd like to get before this beauty gets picked over too much

I wanted to grab the inertia switch but didn't have the right socket. I ended up just getting one from eBay. I may go get the harness for it next time though. Debating on if I care too much if it throws a code for the pump. I'll at least know that it's all good.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm back with a little update.

Looks like I'm going on a bit of a different path with the ranger and I'm doing a 302 swap. I found a cheap engine that I'm going to be slowly rebuilding myself. I got it for $100 and I've been tearing it down.

Right now the plan is to build it up and make it into a smooth running engine with 200-300 horsepower. Nothing too crazy. I feel like if I put too much in there it would just become too much for the truck/ me.

I got it down to the just the crank shaft (I didn't have the socket I needed that day.) it's dirty but remarkably in good shape.

I figure I'll be getting it bored just a tad since there's just a hint of scoring. I could probably just slap it together and have it running but I'm in no real rush so I may as well do it right and not have to worry for 100-200k miles.
I'm also saving up for and trying to get a new transmission. From the sounds of it I can't use the stock 4 cylinder one even though there's an adapter for it.

My first step was new valve covers.
I'll probably have the engine in and out a fair amount while I am doing body work and mocking things up. I'll have some work to do with the firewall and other such stuff.

I'll be taking the engine out of the truck soonish and then doing a lot of work on the engine bay over the summer. I want to get the engine bay and front painted nicely by the end of summer.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got a couple more odds and ends: motor mounts, dual sump pan (from a 79 mustang) an oil pickup to match, and some bolts. My hope is that I'll be able to use all this to help me mock up the engine over the summer. I'm on the hunt for a good transmission too. I've been pretty picky since I really want to keep the bench seat. It looks like my only real option is to get a T5 from an early mustang so that the shifter doesn't go too far back.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well I did have a bunch of pictures for an update but my phone decided to shit the bed and delete ever photo I've ever taken.

I finally got the crankshaft out after not having the right socket and breaker bar (most my tools are at school right now so it takes planning to have the right tools.)

I got what's left of the dashboard out. I figure I may as well pull everything out and check out how the complete firewall is doing. Get any rust repaired and paint it up. I'll also get some sound and heat protector in there too.

I'll probably be doing some wiring too since it has a fair amount of splicing that needs fixing.

I'm getting close to being able to get the 2.3 out of there and start mocking up the engine bay.
I have the oil pan and engine mounts so i should be able to get it fitted.

School is in the final week of the quarter so I'll have a good two weeks to go through a bunch of work on this. I'm really looking forward to it.

Pgh Rebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How is the Ranger project going now? Did you pull the 2.3 motor yet? Don't be afraid to seek the advice from some professional mechanics, especially in doing the 302 swap. A swap like that is not as easy as everyone makes it sound. You will definitely be needing a new transmission-one that's built to withstand the torque of the 302 V8. The original transmission for an 87 4-cylinder was most likely the TK5, an early predecessor to the M5OD. You'll want to look for the Tremec T-5 from a Mustang.
Have to say though that I appreciate seeing people start to take an interest in restoring these early Rangers. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!:D

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How is the Ranger project going now? Did you pull the 2.3 motor yet? Don't be afraid to seek the advice from some professional mechanics, especially in doing the 302 swap. A swap like that is not as easy as everyone makes it sound. You will definitely be needing a new transmission-one that's built to withstand the torque of the 302 V8. The original transmission for an 87 4-cylinder was most likely the TK5, an early predecessor to the M5OD. You'll want to look for the Tremec T-5 from a Mustang.

Have to say though that I appreciate seeing people start to take an interest in restoring these early Rangers. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!:D

It's going pretty well. I haven't had a lot of time to work on the truck since I've been in school for the summer. I've also been working hard on a newer 98 ranger.

I'm looking for a good T5 right now. Once I get the transmission and engine out I'll be verifying the transmission to see if it's from an SVO like it may very well be.
The swap is a good challenge. Just taking my time with the engine build and doing it right.

I'm really enjoying the project. My goal is to make it look kinda stock but tastefully modified. Nothing too crazy to the exterior.

Last edited:

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's a little update while I'm waiting on the drums I have on the lathe to finish.

I decided to go ahead and pull out the whole front suspension. The radius arm and I-beam won't separate so I'll now just work them with them out of the truck and out of the way so I can beat and flex the joints. Hopefully, I'll be able to save the radius arms and use them with the new lowering beams.

Here's the after shot. Soon this fender and the hood will be coming off so I can pull out the 2.3 and it's transmission.

Some terrible wiring I pulled out

proz07

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Had to use my 20t harbor freight press to get my I-beams separated for the DJM lowering beams i did on my 88.

looking forward to the build
z

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Had to use my 20t harbor freight press to get my I-beams separated for the DJM lowering beams i did on my 88.

looking forward to the build
z

That sounds terrible. Wish I had a 20 ton press. I can't really afford one and I don't have the space.

It's slowly coming along. I'll be waiting on the engine build for a while. My program has a big class on engines

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well I managed to separate the right side (finally) with a 50 ton press: But the left radius arm got bent too much to be able to bring back. So I'm going to need to find a new one.

Anyone have one I can buy for a reasonable price?

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

The radius arm got wrecked as you can probably see. No worries: I ordered a new one. It's a pretty exciting point in the build since I'll finally have the truck back on the ground and with all the suspension components that I've had for over a year.

I had to make sure and paint the DJM beams and radius arms nice and black.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Finally after so long the ranger is back in the ground and sitting pretty alright height wise. I think it could go down another inch but I'll wait until I can see how it sits with a 480 pound V8 in the engine bay. It's all just kinda mocked up and wouldn't be able to roll 5 feet down the driveway without some work. Some bolts are still loose and I'm pretty sure that I have the camber adjusters in up side down. The steering knuckles both wobble a lot. It's on the ground though and ready to pull the engine I think. I should only have to undo some more wires and undo the drive shaft and then I'm set to pull out the 2.3.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The project has kinda stalled a bit for a while. Between going to school and working at a dealership I only had Sunday as a day off for a little bit.
It's also been raining a lot of been cold.

Lately I've been feeling a lot more motivation. I have a little more money to toss into the project and a little more time. I made a last minute trip to pick n pull on Friday. I was looking for a new center arm rest for my 98 ranger but ended up getting a set of knuckles from a 97 ranger. So I guess I'll be upgrading to a dual piston caliper.
They also had a ton of V8 explorers on the lot. I came really close to trying to snag an engine. If I had more time I probably would have called up my friend and pulled one. I've decided that the old 302 may be too expensive for me to rebuild right now and is maybe too old (no roller cam.) snagging an explorer engine and M5od-R2 is probably the best way to go right now. It's both cheaper and quicker.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was looking for a new center arm rest for my 98 ranger but ended up getting a set of knuckles from a 97 ranger. So I guess I'll be upgrading to a dual piston caliper.
Cool, I don't know anything about the 2wd's but 4wd's have different stops for the later knuckles. Might be a non-issue for 2wds though. :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals