• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reworking a M50D Trans

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As part of my 4.0L swap I am changing the trans to the M50D. The used trans that I bought has a danaged input shaft so I need to change it or have a trans shop do it. I have the shop manual but I an concerned about the difficulty. It looks complicated. Here are some question to anyone that has worked on this trans:
1. Do I need any special tools?
2. Do you have any suggestion based on your experience?
3. What else should I change?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
1. Do I need any special tools?
Metric sockets, and a 6 inch extension.

2. Do you have any suggestion based on your experience?
Go slow and think. The M5D is a simple mechanical gear set.

3. What else should I change?
Bearings and seals (gaskets). Synchro rings (brass) if bad. Shift rail plugs (check the Tech library for info) while it is out.

The primary input shaft pulls out through the front bearing hole.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I have all the tools. I'm going for it. I just need to order the parts.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You also have a like 2 1/4 inch nut on the main shaft holding it together with over 200 lbs torque it has a long shaft on it so you need a wrench or crows foot.I got a M50D broken and drive it every day now.Three teeth came off my countershaft when I was out of town where these trannies break first is the input to countershaft if thats whats wrong replace the countershaft also.I got my parts from Southwest Gear and Transmission Exchange in Oregon Southwest has great kits.If you do this make sure you get the bendable washers that hold the shaft retaining nuts you'll know when you see the southwest web sight and the two bushings that are on the shift stick.Also it's real easy to put fifth gear in backwards it looks like how the book wants it but put it in so it fits over the other gear you'll see.You know you did it wrong when it won't go into 5th.Also my only regret is I didn't change the synchro's it's only $30 more.I would change every bearing seal and synchro good luck.

Last edited:

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, that is the practical information that is extreamly useful. I have been on the Southwest gear site. It looks great. I also found the input shaft for sale on Ebay, from Southwest Gear. I will contact them directly and get the total kit. For now I know that I only need the input shaft since the end is dammage and will not go into the flywheel bearing. For sure I will also change all the trans bearings. I'll call Southwest and get their guidance. I like working on stuff like this. It's a good learning experience and very gratifing once complete.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow, those explorer web sites were great. Very informative. Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals