• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

something is draining my battery

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I suppose it could, but it wouldn't be very hard to bypass. It's just going to disconnect the PD box or somesuch or it will be prohibitively expensive to install. Or else it just disconnects one critical system like the ignition primary or the fuel pump.

But a REALLY easy way to tell is to disconnect that alarm and crank the vehicle (with a jumpstart if need be).

I strongly discourage using a test light for this because it isn't a terribly sensitive test. Use an AMMETER, preferably the clamp-on type. If you had two 500 mA drains, you wouldn't be able to find them with a test light, but it would be obvious with an ammeter.
I disagree, 100mA will light up most test lights bright!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Bob, read the whole thing.

Two 500 mA drains will be undetectible with a test light. No matter which single wire you disconnect, you will always light the test light bright. On the other hand, with an ammeter, you will see the drain drop by 500 mA when you hit one of them.

It's not THAT unusual to have multiple problems.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Test lights vary on what they draw, depending on the size of the lighting element used. LED test lights will only pull about 20mA, and large incandescent bulb lights can draw around half an amp or even more.

Although a test light would serve the purpose if pulling fuses to locate a drawing circuit, a meter would be the best choice for this kind of troubleshooting, as it would show the real draw and there's no guessing.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bob, read the whole thing.

Two 500 mA drains will be undetectible with a test light. No matter which single wire you disconnect, you will always light the test light bright. On the other hand, with an ammeter, you will see the drain drop by 500 mA when you hit one of them.

It's not THAT unusual to have multiple problems.
Sorry, my bad!!!! I have to agree with you on 2 separate current drain problems! I will say, I've never seen 2 at the same time.

Last edited:

gnu_42

Reaction score
yea it could be two things draining the battery but i give up ill just keep charging the battery...If i find out what it was ill post it or if anyone has a magic solution please let me know.

Thanks for the replys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals