• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp guage not reading right

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The 1 wire is the sending unit to the guage pull it off and touch it to ground with the key on it should read all the way hot. the one with two wires is for the computer to tell it how to control the fuel mix cold vs hot and other things. If you have a volt ohm meter you can check the wire to the sender 1 wire it should have around 8 volts that pulses. All the guages run on the same power supply if you check the wire to the oil pressure sender it should have the same voltage as the water temp sender if not the guage may be bad like i was saying the connector for the water temp somtimes gets loose or corroded giving you an intermittent signal to the guage. just take a pair of pliers and crimp it a little so it pushes on tight and see if that does it.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Tested the one wire with the paperclip method, it went right up to the H like you guys said it would. Now for the thermometer test in the coolant with the rad cap off.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OOOK, sooo no flow with the coolant with rad cap off as far as I could tell, it didn't overflow the radiator, coolant level normal. Coolant temp on the top hose was at most 145 degrees, but it felt pretty darn hot. The bottom hose was much cooler, I didn't measure temp on that, cuz it was nowhere near as hot as the top one is. Checked the temp of the coolant with rad cap off, no more than 130 degrees.

Last edited:

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
there's an ohm test for the sensor.....with the engine cold, the sensor should read a certain amount. After the engine is started the ohm rreading should change noticeably as the engine warms up .... maybe I saw the test in the Tech Library...grounding the dassh gauge should cause the gauge to max out hot if it's working correctly.(that will eliminate having to take the dash apart)

I couldn't find any specifics on readings for these sensors...dunno if I wasn't looking in the right place or what.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
there's an ohm test for the sensor.....with the engine cold, the sensor should read a certain amount. After the engine is started the ohm rreading should change noticeably as the engine warms up .... maybe I saw the test in the Tech Library...grounding the dassh gauge should cause the gauge to max out hot if it's working correctly.(that will eliminate having to take the dash apart)

I couldn't find any specifics on readings for these sensors...dunno if I wasn't looking in the right place or what.

Engine is hot....... 3 ohms

Engine is cold........ 40 ohms

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Turns out it was the temp sender, the one-wired sensor. I feel stupid now lol. Thanks guys for all the tech help.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I took my ranger for a spin yesterday after sitting for two months, and noticed the temp was still on cold. After freakin out checking everything else first it was the connector for the sender loose. I flashed on this thread and just had to laugh why I didn`t check that first. I`m glad it was something simple and cheap. Was one of those part numbers the one you used.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I went to Oreilly's and bought one. 8.49 :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals