• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaf swap

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
for the explorer swap do i need to get the shackles and the leafs or just the leafs. Also will the stock u bolts and shocks work?

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Everything should be fine and fit. You dont need new shackles, just re use them if they are good enough. My u-bolts fit with about 3 threads sticking up past the nut. If your uncomfortable with that, or you have to cut them off, youll need new ones. I used stock bronco 2 shocks, gabriel ultras, from autozone and they work just fine. You also may need 2 spring center bolts if they break when your trying to flip them. Be prepared to cut all your spring eye bolts (at the shackles and hangers). To put regular grade 8 5/8" bolts in, you need to be able to tighten the nut on the back of the hanger. Buy a cheepy wrench (IIRC 13/16") and cut it off real short so you can slide it in to get on the nut.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do you shink i should be able to remove them in the yard. Also will the u bolts from the explorer work on the b2 if not what is the size of the axle tube in inches.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Depends, the new the Ex you pull them from, the less rusty the bolts will be...theoretically. The ONLY thing you need from the Explorer is the springs... your u-bolts, shocks, etc will all work. You need to flip the center pin though.

FYI I had to torch the two sets of leaf springs out that I got... plan on spending several hours there if you can't use the torch method.

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do you shink i should be able to remove them in the yard. Also will the u bolts from the explorer work on the b2 if not what is the size of the axle tube in inches.
i would not reused u bolts buy new ones do not be cheap and make sure u take some big tools like atlest 1/2 drive and a breaker bar and a must is a hack saw

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
The guy that got my explorer springs said he got them off with a snapon cordless impact wrench. I dont know how he had enough clearance for that though. I had to cut all the bolts on my BII when I took the old ones off.

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
Transmission
Manual
I use all the bronco 2 nuts bolts shocks and u bolts without issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals