• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 3.0 rough idle

stampsc31757

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I need help with this problem as smog is coming up in a couple of weeks and need to get this sorted. It runs fine if the ecu has been reset. Once it has had time to read the sensors for about 15-20 miles it starts to have a rough idle. The idle air control valve, egr valve, dpfe sensor, egr solenoid, spark plugs, plug wires have all been replaced. I have looked for vacuum leaks and dont find any. I am running out of ideas. It only idles rough once it is warmed up. I dont know if it could be the coolant temp sensor. My gauge reads perfectly. Please help. I do not know where to take it next.

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Any codes? The check engine light does not need to be on for a code to be in the system. If you're disconnecting the battery to reset the PCM, you may have to drive it a few times to get anything to show up.

stampsc31757

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know you have to drive it around after you reset the ecu. It still has a rough idle. I dont have a vacuum leak unless its in the brake booster or an area like that. I still do not have any codes pulling up. Its been about 50-60 miles of both highway and city driving. No codes stored or pending. I just replaced the intake air temp sensor, fuel filter, and pcv valve. I haven't reset the ecu in a couple of days and i do get out and drive it around for about 15-20 miles a day to try to get the ecu to throw a code. It doesn't have any power loss, cold idle is great, normal driving is great. Just a very rough idle once it is warmed up. It does it stopped at stop signs while in drive or neutral, as well as in park. I haven't checked reverse or any of the other gears. I did put some fuel system cleaner in to see if that can clear it up. I also just put 91 in it to see if that helps any. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

stampsc31757

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found my problem. The vacuum line going from the valve to the solenoid was mixed up with another vacuum line.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals