• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cb location?

wvmountainman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
iv been thinking about getting on of those shelv it things from lmc it mounts to the visors and makes a place to store stuff i was looking at some location therads and didnt see anyone that had one thought it would make a nice place to put my 29 without having to drill into the headliner.. anyone have one or seen one there about $80 w/o shipping just wondering if there worth the mulla.. anythoughts...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IMO, at least from what I heard... they reduce visibility... what I also don't like about them is if you end up putting more stuff up there, in an accident all those things become projectiles = not fun.

Just my 2 cents.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there was a thread in the 'interior' forum i believe. might want to check there. overall, iirc, they seemed to be pretty satisfied with it, and the install was pretty painless. double check me to be sure. good luck.

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got one. It installs in the original visor mount holes and comes with extra screws to remount your visors to the underneath of the shelf it. I ran the visors underneath for about a week. Then took them out. I had to run them turned to the front instead of flipped back and up. I took out the visors because I got tired of ducking my head to see street lights. I mounted a Cobra 29 to a bracket and then to the headliner. If you were to extend the bracket some for the Cb you could mount it into the shelf and the CB would ride above the shelf it. Hanging below would be way too low. I just screwed by CB bracket to the support metal that runs from the front windshield back to the rear of the cab. Self tapping sheet metal screws work nicely just make sure they are short ones. I ended up with some dimples on the outside top of the cab because mine were a little long. Oh well it's a '94 and it's got tree rash too from Turkey bay so I said "So what". Too long and they're going to go through the roof.

garyl

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4 banger
Transmission
Automatic
I have one in my '91 Ranger and have the same problem as Jay'94 with street lights but other than that I like it. I did have my cobra 25 ltd up on the shelf right above the mirror for about a week but the mic cable annoyed me. Overall not a bad idea for a no drill application.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ive seen them mounted up between visors directly to the roof and you can also cutout some of the ashtray area to mount it in there, as far as the visor thing I think it would be awesome in a fullsize but our cabs are just too damn small. I have a small one underneath the ashtray area right behind the shifter screwed straight into the dash frame with a slight angle towards the driver, its rpetty nice there.

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
that sounds like it would be a good place to mount it i.m.o.

Mahgongo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
An old thread but I had a shelf it in my F-150 and had my uniden mounted on top. It kept it neat and out of the way but as stated above they hinder some upper vision (IE street lights) and IMHO i am too tall (6'5") in a ranger to loose that much vision.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I'm considering taking the mount from an explorer headliner console and making my full size uniden fit. I've been wanting the shelf from lmc because a have a 96 single cab and frankly the more room the better. Originally I thought about mounting it in the non-existent passenger airbag compartment but it's took big a small unit would totally work though.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I mounted mine up top. I used a strip of sheet metal and attached it to the visor clips. No drilling or holes in the headliner at all. I could take it down and you'd never know it was there.

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
^^^ did the same thing but used plexiglass.

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
I mounted mine up top. I used a strip of sheet metal and attached it to the visor clips. No drilling or holes in the headliner at all. I could take it down and you'd never know it was there.

How do you power it?

I'd like to mount one there as well on my truck and couldn't tell if you ran the power under the headliner or drilled a hole in the sheet metal and ran it down your a-pillar, or just hung a cable to your cigaratte lighter.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I want to install one in my Bronco 2 eventually, the location I was going to use got taken up by my gauges, so I'm thinking roof mount as well. I have an old style slide in mount so its relatively low profile, you install the mount on the radio and the mount in your vehicle then you can slide the radio in and out of the mount as you wish.

Anyone here familiar with what's above the headliner on the Bronco 2's as far as space to install a couple screws? Don't want to go tearing into stuff without knowing what's there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals