• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd gen Clutch Pedals in a 1st gen

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know if I can swap the pedals from my '92 truck I'm parting out into an '88 truck or will I have to source 1st gen pedals to 5 speed swap my GT?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The pedals changed in 88. I think 88-92 is all the same.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually though there are subtle (largely irrelevant for most purposes) differences between the '82-1/2 through 1987 and '88 pedals they are all basically the same through the end of the 1988 model run.

What is different between the '82-87 and the '88 pedals is that Ford changed the design of the Clutch multi-function switch.

The early switch was a stand alone design that spanned between it's own pin on the clutch pedal and a bracket on the firewall, starting in 1988 it was a co-axial switch mounted on the clutch master cylinder pushrod.

This system was used until the end of 1994.

For 1995 ford changed the design of the master cylinder to one that mounted not to the firewall as earlier, but to the pedal bracket under the dash.
basically 1995-up it passes through a large grommet in the firewall but does not mount to the firewall...

The 1989-up pedals are different though the same through the end of 1994, but what is really different is the pedal brackets....

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I tried putting the coaxially mounted clutch switch on my 87, with the 87 pedal. The bend of the arm is different and the earlier pedal would pop the switch off the MC push rod. That was the only place I found the difference to be important.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well. FWIW I haven't run any clutch multifunction switch for around 15 years.

My original separate 1987 type switch broke sometime around 1998 and instead of fixing or replacing it I simply installed the auto trans jumper for it.

I've never felt inclined to do anything about it since...Even when I completely rewired the truck in 2007 when swapping to a 4.0 and adding cruise control.

I regard the clutch safety switch as a solution to a non-existing problem, that actually creates a new problem all it's own... especially as the original switch failing left me stuck until I jumpered the switch.

If I suffer a failure of any kind I tend not to set myself up for sequels of the same failure...

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

Until you have been stranded 150miles from home by a failure... THIS is why I do not trust automatic transmissions...

Some day I'll tell you about the day in 1982 when a GM Powerglide automatic TRIED to KILL me and nearly did... My Explorer is the very first vehicle with an automatic trans I've owned since owned in the 35years since...

According to my brother who was (until he stopped working for Ford) a Ford Senior Master technician, an expert on automatic transmissions CLAIMS the 4R70W is the best automatic trans ford has ever made, I still trust it about third as far as he'd be willing to shove it up his own ass...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
FWIW the 4R70 is a good trans. The biggest issue I have ever seen with them is the OD band servo failing, leaving you with no 4th gear, an issue that can be worked around in the field by hitting the OD cancel and limiting the trans to 3rd gear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals