• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel mileage

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
won't to see what you guys think about this, i read about this the other day. It said that if you put three oz. of 100% of acetone to 10 gals. of gas in your truck you can gain from two to four more miles per gallon on your mileage. Has anyone heard of this or tried this. dose this work or more B.S. And could it kill your engine. What do ya'll think.:dunno:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Acetone! If it would do that I think the green gods would have made it mandatory in all gas.

I do not have any knowledge. If it didn't melt stuff in your fuel system, you would at least have the cleanest system it town.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Another "vaporization myth"

The common belief, and the part that reads well, is that vaporizing a fuel better will get a more even mix with the air so you can use less fuel to get the same power.
And just enough of that is true so people believe the rest, which is the myth part.

First thing you need to know is that gasoline engines run on a 14.7:1 air:fuel mix
14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel
But....you CAN NOT pick what "part" means, 14.7:1`is a WEIGHT ratio, so "part" must be some weight measure, grams, ounces, kilos, pounds, doesn't matter what you decide to use, but it must be by weight.

This is where the "vaporizer" proponent's part from the truth, they use Volume measurements for their explanation, which reads well but just isn't true.

If you have 14.7 grams of air then you need 1 gram of gasoline to get a good burn, doesn't matter how much you separate the gasoline molecules(vaporize) they must add up to 1 gram in weight if there is 14.7 grams of air.

The part that is true is that if you are dripping the gasoline into an engine it won't get a very good mix with the air, so to get the correct 14.7 grams of air mixed with 1 gram of fuel you end up having to add more fuel.
Older carbs did OK but a bit of the fuel would end up coating the inside of the intake.
Fuel injection does better but you still end up with some gas wasted on the back of the intake valve.
Direct injection is probably the best.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I too have been reading into this...

Acetone is actually already in gasoline. Gasoline is almost a Heinz 57 mixture of different chemicals (for lack of a better word... I'm a Mech. E., not a Chem. E.)

The ratios that are proposed, usually 1oz acetone to 5 gal. gasoline is quite small, so I don't see the A/F ratio being effected too much... Acetone is actually slightly denser than gasoline, meaning less would be needed...

Overall though, it's probably a wash/vehicle/driver dependant mixed with 50% placebo effect....

Does that mean I'm not gonna try it? No... I'm probably going to try it once I convince myself no longer term damage to the engine will occur...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Hahaha. I tried this 50 years ago and also tried the ol' mothballs in the tank hype. These days maybe a can r two of Techrolene per year and a couple of bottles of de-icer during the winter. Bought some sea foam 5 years ago and have yet to even use it. Fair to say, I got over the miracle b.s..

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Well just dropped some in the tank. I'll do a write up on what I experience, for those who care and want to read it for what's it's worth, haha

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unless you do exactly the same drive in the same weather at the same temperature before and after, its just anecdotes.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Unless you do exactly the same drive in the same weather at the same temperature before and after, its just anecdotes.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
"for those who care and want to read it for what it's worth"

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hahaha. I tried this 50 years ago and also tried the ol' mothballs in the tank hype. These days maybe a can r two of Techrolene per year and a couple of bottles of de-icer during the winter. Bought some sea foam 5 years ago and have yet to even use it. Fair to say, I got over the miracle b.s..
I like your style. I'll hit my day when I quit believing in the magic of automotive elixirs, but until then, I think it's fun to experiment and try stuff. "Learning"

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I run 10% alcohol.
:icon_twisted:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Attachments

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
chewy012: I agree. Dreaming and being inquisitive is a beautiful thing and none of the world's great discoveries and inventions would have happened without that inquiring mind. I still dream...but, my get-up and go got up and went!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Tire air pressure and keeping below 70 mph (or $1.10 in Canadian coins) will do more to save you gas and keep your costs down...

I did a few mileage studies with verifiable test results a few years back when I was commuting every day and can attest to that from experience...

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Dooty: "get up and go, got up and went" .... I like that haha

Mark_88: yeah, I commute about 60 miles each way, so i monitor every tank, as I fill up about every 3 days. I'm super anal (gross) about tire pressure, and I usually drive the 75 mph speed limit, which I know the 5 mph makes a noticeable difference :/

Anywho, so far I've only put in 3 oz into my 21 gal tank which is almost 900:1. Been windy here too. I'ma give it a few tanks and I'll write up what I've noticed, good, bad, or indifferent.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Take all the extra weight out of your truck. I used to carry enough tools for repair, recovery, and to sink my mileage! I also took out the jump seats, removed running boards, tow hitch, cut down the bumper, and run 255/70-16s (roughly 30" diameter vs a larger 31 or 32. I think the above and some slight aero mods got me maybe .6 miles more per gallon better at highway speeds and quicker take-offs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals