• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goodbye 2.3 4 cylinder...

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
I got started on Project Silver Bullet today.

Here's a few pics as promised...

How's this for light???

Block with a pair of bare heads... lift it with one hand!!! No BS, these things are LIGHT!!!

Mike

In goes the mock-up motor...

No oil filter worries...

I'm happy with the preliminary test fitting, just waiting for my oil pan and bellhousing so I can get down to the nitty gritty.

I stuck the Ranger rad back in to show how much room I have, about 3 1/8" from the fan hub to the core.

The oil pan mounting surface is about 5" above the main crossmember. I believe the deepest part of the pan is about 5 1/2 to 6" from about mid block on back.

The front part of the pan is probably less than 2" so I could set the motor lower once the old mounts are out of the way if I want to.

Looks like the 215 will be a natural for this swap, I think it will go smoothly with great results. The aluminum block and heads are SO easy to maneuver.

Stay tuned...

Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting all the fabrication done.

Hey, good job on your swap... did I see you have room for your oil filter in the stock 5.0 location?

Mike

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good so far. It's always a good feeling to see someone else join "the club". Keep us up to date with pics.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That's going to be sick! Nice looking truck btw.

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys!!! I'm looking forward to being a member of the V-8 Ranger club for sure.
Getting the old engine and trans out is never much fun, (this is the third set I've pulled this year), but now I can move on to the fun part of the project.

I got the 4 cylinder "doughnut" mounts and brackets removed tonight after work and did some more measuring. I have a pair of stock 215 mounts coming Friday that I'll bolt to the mockup motor, then drop it back in to see how low I can set it.

I hope to have the oil pan and custom bellhousing by next week so I can finalize the location and fab up the mounting points on the main crossmember. While I'm waiting I'll drop the stock fuel tank out and work on the new rear mounted fuel cell and plumbing.

Thanks again for all the positive comments and I'll post more pics as I go.

Mike

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
I did manage to get the oil filter installed in the original position. But, I have to lift the motor a little to change out the filter. Works O.K. for me. I am rebuilding a 351 Cleveland for my Ranger. I can't wait to drive it! The 5.0 moves out but a 351 Cleveland has about 165 hp more!

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did manage to get the oil filter installed in the original position. But, I have to lift the motor a little to change out the filter. Works O.K. for me. I am rebuilding a 351 Cleveland for my Ranger. I can't wait to drive it! The 5.0 moves out but a 351 Cleveland has about 165 hp more!
Holy Crap, that's alot of motor... good thing you have a longer wheelbase and a bit more weight. That thing is gonna be a HANDFUL!!! Personally I think the Cleveland is one helluva motor, had a few over the years including one from a '70 Torino Cobra I dropped into a '56 F-100 that hauled...
Can't wait to see that project going together!!!

Mike

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I can't wait to get that 351 Cleveland in there! Looks like you're building a really nice ride yourself. Please keep your pics updated so we get to see how it's coming along. O.K? I really enjoy projects like these and there's nothing like a V8 Ranger!

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THANKS!!!

I'll keep the pics and updates coming, should have some interesting shots by this weekend... Yep, I got bit HARD by the V-8 Ranger bug... I KNEW I shouldn't have driven that thing!!! :)

Thanks everyone for your interest!

Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, since my last post I have acquired some cool pieces... Land Rover EFI lower intake, upper and lower plenum, fuel rails, ECU, aluminum valve covers, rear sump oil pan with pickup and a new custom made bellhousing from D&D Fabrication that mates the 215 to a GM T-5 5 speed.

I removed the gas tank and exhaust, lots of room to get under there now. Planning a new fuel cell. I'll post up some pics when I can.

Stay tuned...
Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well guys, had to work this last weekend too but I did manage to fab some seat brackets and get my bucket test mounted. Haven't had time to clean up any motor parts but I figure dirty pics are better than none... wait, that didn't sound right... Anyway, here's a few pics.

These are Rover pieces including the aluminum valve covers...

Love the ol' time hotrod look of the lower plenum "stacks"

Here's a shot with the hood closed showing potential for clearance...

And the new seat...

Hope to add more soon, depending on my work schedule...
Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Scored a nice used T-5 on Ebay, it arrived today!!! The D&D Fabrication custom bellhousing I have mates the 215 to a GM T-5. This one's from a Camaro. I decided to go with the .73 5th gear, should be more useable for my purposes and still deliver excellent highway mileage with the 308 rear gears. Hoping to do a test fit with motor, bell and trans this weekend if I have some time...

Stay tuned...
Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I made some progress today guys, here are some pics of my mock up project...

Block, bell and T-5 united...

Package going in...

Heater box mod...

Temporary aluminum cover in place...

Firewall clearance, no hammering of the seams necessary...

Lots of room, 15 inches from front of block to core support...

T-5 right at home...

Floor cutout...

Shifter in place...

I'm liking this look!!!

Side shot...

Well, the oil pan they sent me was the wrong one so that will wait for another time.
I feel I made some decent progress today. The trans crossmember, not pictured, is a piece of
1 1/2" square steel tube, .095 wall thickness, set into the frame rails. I still need to fab an adapter for the 22* Camaro mount before I finalize the install.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals