• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Complete Engine Harness, Ford or Painless?

Harrison_Bergeron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I just bought my '88 2wd Ranger with an '89 Mustang 5.0 in it already. The wiring on the whole truck is atrocious. I am thinking the easiest and cleanest route will be to just re-wire the whole truck with pre-made harnesses. There seem to be two options for the engine harness, Ford Motorsports and Painless. Are there any pros and cons to either of these? Are there any other harnesses I should research?

Thanks

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Buy a used Mustang harness, '87-'93, for $100 or less- If you care about budget and doing something yourself. It's quite easy.

5.0B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Automatic
Painless, EZ Wire, Russ Francis can all build you a harness specifically for your setup. Plus wires are all labeled every foot or so. Don't know if Ford Motorsports does that.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i had some painless wiring on my first 86 ranger, only cause i got a good price on it though but i got painless stickers with it so thats the main thing lol

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Scrap that Painless wiring and get yourself one of these http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=4 or just use a 89 Mustang 5.0 wiring harness.
RJM harness are cheaper and need only three wires hooked up to make your engine run.

Harrison_Bergeron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Scrap that Painless wiring and get yourself one of these http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=4 or just use a 89 Mustang 5.0 wiring harness.
RJM harness are cheaper and need only three wires hooked up to make your engine run.
That's a cool link, the product looks nice, and the critiques of the Painless and Ford setups are nice. I'll have to see how much their emissions compliant setup is.

Harrison_Bergeron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Buy a used Mustang harness, '87-'93, for $100 or less- If you care about budget and doing something yourself. It's quite easy.
How hard is it to find a good condition harness? I'd imagine that any junkyard will have them stripped out before the car is even up on its blocks.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
"painless" :icon_rofl: they assume their customers don't have pain receptors in their wallets. they wanted $700+ for a harness to run my vortec engine:annoyed: what a joke

Harrison_Bergeron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
For the Ford harness their price is right with the competition at $550.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
For the Ford harness their price is right with the competition at $550.
near $600 and you still need an engine, computer, and all the sensors (map, maf, both o2, tps etc) bought seperately (even from a j/y) will easily cost at least $200

$550 will buy you a donor vehicle to rob all needed parts from, and then you can scrap it and get $200 back

but some of us have pain receptors in our skill-areas of our brains and need to pay an outrageous amount of money to make the job marginally more "painless"

and some of us have pain receptors in our wallets and are willing to be what the other guys consider to be an outrageous amount of work to make the job less expensive

i am part of the second group. but not everyone is

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
How hard is it to find a good condition harness? I'd imagine that any junkyard will have them stripped out before the car is even up on its blocks.
Going rate is $75-$100 on the corral (www.corral.net)

There's no denying that the aftermarket harnesses are probably good, but most of us don't really "need" them.

All the sensors are really cheap, and don't really wear out.

Harrison_Bergeron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I don't need an engine and all that stuff, my Ranger already has a "running" 5.0, the wiring is just in such poor shape that I cannot tell if my battery is dead because of my fried alternator or a short somewhere else. I bought this truck because it ran, so I want it to be running again as simply as possible, so I can get to the fun projects that I actually bought it for.

I will check the corral to see if I can find a clean enough stock harness to make me happy.

near $600 and you still need an engine, computer, and all the sensors (map, maf, both o2, tps etc) bought seperately (even from a j/y) will easily cost at least $200

$550 will buy you a donor vehicle to rob all needed parts from, and then you can scrap it and get $200 back

but some of us have pain receptors in our skill-areas of our brains and need to pay an outrageous amount of money to make the job marginally more "painless"

and some of us have pain receptors in our wallets and are willing to be what the other guys consider to be an outrageous amount of work to make the job less expensive

i am part of the second group. but not everyone is

In case anyone is curious, my Ranger was $1350 with full fiberglass, decent extended beams, Bronco II tank, a refereed 5.0 swap(CA paperwork), and a C4 with a B&M shifter. Even with the poor wiring, chained on coil springs, and crumpled core support I still think I got a really good deal.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you have the money, go with a new wiring harness. Especially if you want a simple clean setup.....just enough to run the engine.

An OEM Ford harness will be old, unkown condition, and have extra circuits.

If you really know wiring and have a couple harnesses around, one could be made rather easily. Just need wiring diagrams and a pinout of a 5.0 PCM.

Harrison_Bergeron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you have the money, go with a new wiring harness. Especially if you want a simple clean setup.....just enough to run the engine.
That is why I would prefer a new harness, but after looking on the corral I am thinking that if I start with a good condition OE harness removing the unnecessary circuits should be well within my skillset. The extra work would be well worth the $400 savings, plus that savings will help me have the truck ready for a run I want to go on in October. It's not a done deal, but I think I've been convinced to run an OE harness.

My next question is, will any '88-'93 harness work just as well as any other, or should I shoot for any certain year? Again, I have an '89 motor.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
That is why I would prefer a new harness, but after looking on the corral I am thinking that if I start with a good condition OE harness removing the unnecessary circuits should be well within my skillset. The extra work would be well worth the $400 savings, plus that savings will help me have the truck ready for a run I want to go on in October. It's not a done deal, but I think I've been convinced to run an OE harness.

My next question is, will any '88-'93 harness work just as well as any other, or should I shoot for any certain year? Again, I have an '89 motor.
I would shoot for the 89 wiring harness as it has the newer round plug on it (for MAFS) vs. the 88 Cali harnesses square plug and the 90 and up ones have the air bag sensors run in the harness so that is just more work to do to use it. Any of the 88-93 will work though just go with the best condition you that you can find for the best price or in your price range. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals