• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 8.8

red02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everybody im new to the site and im looking for information on my axle. i have a 2002 fx4 8.8" 31 spline torsen ls. my ranger has 101000 miles. i was told at the tire shop that the rear axle shafts have grooves and im still dealing with the leak from the factory. i have taken it in on recall but that did not help. ive read some posts and looked in the tech library. i hardly had any luck on my search. i was wondering if it would be better off swapping in an axle form a explorer or working on the one thats already in it. i dont off road much and when i do its mildly. and i am also searching for a replacement front driveshaft. ive tough about going with the superlift shaft but not sure if it will work at stock height. any help will be appriciated.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a manual transmission? Ford recalled early 2002 FX4 models with manual transmissions for the rear torsen blowing up. Might have that looked at...

You took it in on recall....for what??? a leak? umm...no recalls get issued for leaks....

What's leaking? WHERE is it leaking???? Pinion seal? Axle seal? Diff cover seal??

Why do you need a new front shaft?? Stock shaft on a stock truck should last well into the 150k range. Superlift shaft does work on a unlifted truck. Will last alot longer than the stock unit as well.

Expo change...well....go ahead if you want to. You've basically got that exact axle under your truck right now, but it just doesn't have disc brakes. You'll need to flip the perches, weld on shock tabs, and deal with the e-brake cables.

My whole thing is.....if its just a leaky seal....why in god's name are you wanting to swap the axle out? You've already got a 31spline in it. Expo brakes BOLT RIGHT TO IT.

Shafts have grooves? where? where on the axle shaft is it 'grooved'? I'm willing to bet its a BS claim and they're just trying to make money off you.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would assume it's an axle seal seeing how he says the shaft(s) are grooved where they ride on the bearing(s) wiping out the seal, it's a fairly common 8.8 thing.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yea i've seen a couple 8.8's with chewed up bearing surfaces. You are able to get a repair bearing that actually rides on a different part of the shaft so that its not riding on the worn part. It has a seal built into it and everything. Just an option instead of replacing the entire rear end or buying 2 new 31 spline shafts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get a speedi-sleeve kit too, a sleeve that goes over the grooved shaft and a oversized seal to seal on the sleeve. That is if it is just where the seal has worn a groove in your axle shaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals