• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transmission using the 5.0 Explorer?

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm currently just in the planning stages, but hopefully with lots of good planning and reading here, the path to a great finished Ranger will be a smooth one!

I don't actually have the donor vehicle, or the Ranger yet - but planning a 2 wheel drive, 2004 to 2007 Ranger.

The first "obstacle" I'm running into is the manual transmission question. From reading here, I feel like a '97 to '01 Explorer is the best donor vehicle - but my plan is 100% to end up with a manual transmission (doesn't matter if its 4 or 5 speed really) - Yet all the Explorers (that I have seen) are automatics. What's the simplest solution?

The computers/electronics are already pretty intimidating, and I get the impression that I'll need to use the Explorer parts, and making those computer modules happy with a manual transmission might be a problem?

I can limit my Ranger purchase to manual transmissions, but I'm not so sure that would solve anything?

Any advice is appreciated!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I'm currently just in the planning stages, but hopefully with lots of good planning and reading here, the path to a great finished Ranger will be a smooth one!

I don't actually have the donor vehicle, or the Ranger yet - but planning a 2 wheel drive, 2004 to 2007 Ranger.

The first "obstacle" I'm running into is the manual transmission question. From reading here, I feel like a '97 to '01 Explorer is the best donor vehicle - but my plan is 100% to end up with a manual transmission (doesn't matter if its 4 or 5 speed really) - Yet all the Explorers (that I have seen) are automatics. What's the simplest solution?

The computers/electronics are already pretty intimidating, and I get the impression that I'll need to use the Explorer parts, and making those computer modules happy with a manual transmission might be a problem?

I can limit my Ranger purchase to manual transmissions, but I'm not so sure that would solve anything?

Any advice is appreciated!
I did a similar Ranger project and can offer some advice to make the overall concept a little easier to digest. When I started I was also intimidated with much of the electronics, wiring, manual trans options etc. I searched the forums and decided to proceed with what was identified as the easiest/simplest swap with modern EFI. I choose the 98-00 Ranger and the 00-01 Explorer. The electronics as well as other items mesh well between these years.

To answer your main question regarding the manual trans, a Tremec T5 is the best route to go. You will need to have some of the auto trans codes programmed out of the ECM but that is somewhat simple for a programmer to take care of for you. The auto equipped Rangers are already wired for the manual trans at the pedal assembly. You will just need to bolt in the manual pedal assembly and pull down the pigtail for the wiring. Check out the you tube video below for info on my truck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNFRR-blcb8

Last edited:

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the reply Jbrown, and nice build!
Was the T5 used in any factory 5.0 liters (like the F150 maybe?) or purely an aftermarket tranny?

I have to say, needing the ECM reprogrammed makes me nervous. Its one thing to think "sure, I can get that done..." to getting waist deep into your build and finding out this is either not easy to actually find someone to do it, or its prohibitively expensive. All of a sudden you find your project collecting dust and never finished over a little detail :(

Although... from your video you went with the manual? You give me new hope! lol.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some V8 Explorers were ordered with manual transmissions, and they used the Windsor 302/5.0l until 2001 model year, so 1996 to 2001
It was a special order so few and far between.
But the manual trans Computers do come up on ebay or on some remanufactured sites
You can usually buy a remanufactured PCM(ford computer) for under $200, and get it with your choice of programming/flash
i.e. 5.0l, manual trans, NO PATS

Tremec T5 is a good option, and since you are planning on 2WD a good choice.

Rangers use the M5OD-R1 manual trans
For V8 power Ford used the M5OD-R2 in F-series, a heavier duty version
In 1997 Ford used the 4.2l V6 in F-series trucks until 2008.
V6 yes BUT............it still used the M5OD-R2 AND...........the 4.2l and windsor 302/5.0l share the same bellhousing bolt pattern
AND..........from 1997 and up the 4.2l M5OD-R2 shifter is at the same location as M5OD-R1 so fits Ranger shifter location within an inch.

Last edited:

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Some V8 Explorers were ordered with manual transmissions, and they used the Windsor 302/5.0l until 2001 model year, so 1996 to 2000.
Unfortunately for manual swappers, this is not true. ALL 5.0 Explorers/Mountaineers were 4R70W automatic, both 2WD and AWD. So, factory manual PCMs and transmisson related hard parts do not exist for a 5.0 manual swap using only Ex/Mountie bolt-ons.

The second generation Explorers optioned with the 4.0 V6 SOHC were also automatic only.

The only 2nd gen 4-door Explorer engine offered with a manual was the base 4.0 V6 OHV, a powertrain combination similar what was available for the 90's Rangers. This M5ODR1 manual trans is not up to the torque of a 5.0 and will not bolt up anyway.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, yes, manual with V8 wasn't a factory option

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
thanks for the reply Jbrown, and nice build!
Was the T5 used in any factory 5.0 liters (like the F150 maybe?) or purely an aftermarket tranny?

I have to say, needing the ECM reprogrammed makes me nervous. Its one thing to think "sure, I can get that done..." to getting waist deep into your build and finding out this is either not easy to actually find someone to do it, or its prohibitively expensive. All of a sudden you find your project collecting dust and never finished over a little detail :(

Although... from your video you went with the manual? You give me new hope! lol.
The T5 was used in 5.0 Mustangs for many years. For the Ranger application I would stay with 1990-1993 but other year models will work as well. My personal choice is the Z spec Tremec T5, new $1750.00 shipped. You can find them for less used but they will still run more than a standard used T5 which runs in the $450.00 range if you look around.

There are several people here that will help with ECM programming. I used Greg at Speedy Dyno in Owensboro KY. I bought my tuner through him along with (5) custom tunes sent through e-mail. He dialed my truck in over four or five tunes with data logged info supplied by myself during road driving sessions. I paid $425.00 for the handheld tuner and his time developing the (5) custom tunes. Part of this work will also include disabling the PATS system at the ECM so you won't need to worry about that as well.

2004-2007 Ranger. I forgot to mention, if you like that model range specifically it would still be easier to use a 98-00 Ranger and simply swap the updated sheet metal and other parts on to that truck. As you move forward in time with newer model Rangers the swap logistics start to increase with difficulty.

In my experience the 98-00 Ranger, 00-01 Explorer combination is about 99% plug and play. Going from memory the only fab work is the Engine plates, the hole for the manual shifter, the clutch slave cylinder bracket, the trans mount bracket, and some wiring. The wiring came down to the starter, the ac, the neutral safety switch from the auto trans, and the passenger side O2 sensor. Each of these areas consisted of one, two, or three wires that required modification.

I made mine as easy as possible by sticking with mostly OE style parts. That way everything fit together using stock holes and fasteners.

Last edited:

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm not totally committed to the newer model Rangers, in fact a big part of that is putting this much work and effort (and money) into a 16 or 17 year old truck... as opposed to 9 or 10 years. Even that seems a bit "old" - however I guess mileage is a big factor too. Maybe some research on this is in order :D

So... I'm getting that a manual transmission Explorer never existed. Ok. But these Tremecs came on a number of Mustangs and F150 pickups (even the V6 pickups had the heavier tranny) So that seems a viable path.

However: if the Explorers never had manuals, I have to assume that using the ECM / computer / etc from the actual donor Explorer is pretty much a "must" - but they can still be programmed for a manual transmission? (since it seems there's a few of these modded Rangers kicking around, lol)

That was also an important point you posted Jbrown, about the "tuner" work - I wondered if you started putting headers, cams, porting, intakes, injectors, etc on the 5.0 - you must need to re-tune the computer as well? Sounds like you did, and it worked! (also sound a little pricey... but its all part of the process I guess)

At least no one has totally scared me off this idea yet!

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
h

The post 2002/2003 Rangers moved to a CANBUS instrument cluster. Essentially impossible to keep the cluster working with an earlier PCM.

Very doable to swap in/wire in an earlier cluster but it does add work/time/parts.

So too the emissions systems, the ealier PCM's won't like the later purge valve and such so again, more swap in/wire in effort.

One option on the manual gearbox is to drop the PCM back even further to the last of the 302 powered Cobra mustangs.

You'll loose the coil pack ignition of the Expos, but it will retain the Sequential injection rather than the bank/batch fire of most of the Mustang/Mk VII/Crown Vic of the era. Not to difficult to find the 'Stang PCM but like the rest of the wiring mods, it'll take more wiring to fit the 'Stang efi system into a Ranger.

When I retire my current '96 Expo powered Ranger, I plan on building a replacement using a much later Ranger so I won't say it's a fools effort, but do be aware, the later Rangers pose some significant electrical issues and are far from the near "plug and play" that jbrown's was.

Last edited:

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
At least no one has totally scared me off this idea yet!
ok, now I'm scared! :icon_surprised:

but I'm starting to understand.... yeah, lots of things are "possible" with effort/research/money - but not entirely practical, especially when I don't consider my skill-set all that high end.

So if I've got this straight, to make this an even remotely "easy" job, I'm going to use:
- '98 to '03 Ranger - 2 wheel drive (transmission doesn't matter) - but one of the V6's to get the heavier rear end, for base vehicle.

- 97 to 01 Explorer for the 5.0 V8, along with all the electronics/computers (which should also get me the GT40P heads)

- Almost any year F150 for a 5 speed manual transmission, along with clutch assembly, right from the pedals to the flywheel ... I think this bell housing will bolt right onto the 5.0 / not sure about the drive shaft situation, so I'll just keep all 3 lol.

I'll also still need the PCM/ECU reset for a standard transmission.

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
- '98 to '03 Ranger - 2 wheel drive (transmission doesn't matter) - but one of the V6's to get the heavier rear end, for base vehicle.
V6 does not guarantee the heavier 8.8 axle. Speaking VERY generally, things like Supercab or 4.0L or 4x4 or 2002+ Edge will trigger the 8.8 upgrade. However, the "rules" are blurred year to year, so you should check the axle code on the Cert Label on the DS door jamb and use a decoder to figure which axle and ratio were factory specified. Better yet, verify 8.8 or 7.5 by crawling under the truck and looking at the cover plate pattern. You never know if the axle has been swapped out over the life of the vehicle.

- 97 to 01 Explorer for the 5.0 V8, along with all the electronics/computers (which should also get me the GT40P heads)
Ford switched from GT40 (early) to GT40P (late) for the Ex 5.0 within the 1997 model year.

- Almost any year F150 for a 5 speed manual transmission, along with clutch assembly, right from the pedals to the flywheel ... I think this bell housing will bolt right onto the 5.0 ...
The 4.9/5.0 150/250 M5ODR2 trans would work BUT the gearshift position is farther forward than the opening in the Ranger floor.

An easier install is the M5ODR2 from the 97~03? F150 4.2 V6. The metric holes in the bell need to drilled out very slightly to match the bolts of the 5.0L but the pattern is identical. Shifter position is near perfect. The Ex 5.0/M5ODR2 swap needs the 164T flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/starter from a vehicle that uses the same parts as a 96 5.0L F150.

Use stock Ranger manual pedals, clutch master and slave cylinders.

Some stuff that won't work with a 5.0 Explorer/M5ODR2 manual swap:
-Factory 5.0 Ex automatic starter (wrong nose length),
-M5ODR2 from a 4.6 (wrong bell pattern),
-clutch/flywheel/etc from 4.2 V6, 4.9 straight 6 or 4.6 modular V8. (wrong pattern / size / balance factor).

not sure about the drive shaft situation....
A custom length shaft is usually used but you may be able to find a match at a yard if you're persistent.

I'll also still need the PCM/ECU reset for a standard transmission.
True

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
just to take the idea off the table, in case I'm overlooking something here... its not a viable / better / easier / plan to use a later model V8 (F150 4.6 Triton for example) with also a later model Ranger?

I was sure I've read somewhere on the forums why that's not a great plan... just can't remember exactly the details.

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
so, keeping to the original post/plan - best stick with a 97 - 03 - F150 with the 4.2 V6 for the transmission. I am assuming it wouldn't matter if this was 2x4 or 4x4? The M50DR2 is going to be the same?

It would also seem that if possible, getting a manual shift Ranger in the first place helps a little too, with clutch assembly being in place.

I don't think I'l shop for a 4th donor vehicle, for the flywheel/starter though :D

I'll take a moment here to thank you all for the great help and replies! I can see right now, without this, this project would never, ever have gotten finished! To those of you have "been there, done that" I tip my hat! :icon_thumby:

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
just to take the idea off the table, in case I'm overlooking something here... its not a viable / better / easier / plan to use a later model V8 (F150 4.6 Triton for example) with also a later model Ranger?

I was sure I've read somewhere on the forums why that's not a great plan... just can't remember exactly the details.
There are several examples of 4.6 conversions. The greater width of the 4.6 requires additional work on steering rerouting and the A/C, if retained.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The modular V8s are too wide to fit Ranger engine bay without major modifications.

302/5.0l is 19 inches wide, and 21 inches in height
4.6l is almost 29" wide, it is also 26" high
So heater box is gone and steering shaft...........well it would be a challenge, lol.

You need transmission AND transfer case from a 4WD F-150 with 4.2l if you want 4WD.
If you want 2WD then you need the transmission from a 2WD F-150 with 4.2l.
2WD and 4WD transmissions have different tail shafts, manual or automatic.

Yes, having clutch pedal already there makes it easier.

Look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

You can see what axle the truck has from the Door Tag, size and ratio, also L/S(limited slip) or OPEN

Found this for the width comparison: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals