• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to ruin a 2.3 Duratec

bdagle

Reaction score
I bought a very clean low mileage 2001 Ranger with the 2.3 Duratec motor. After driving this truck for about a month, I was returning home from a business trip on the freeway. Looking in the side mirror I noticed that it was blowing a lot of black smoke out the tail pipe. Since the truck was still running OK and not wanting to get stuck out in the boondocks, I drove it the rest of the way into the city. Over the next couple of days I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this problem. There were no codes and everything seemed to be OK, but the black smoke continued. Finally I happened to notice in the shop manual that the intake manifold on this engine is equipped with what are called "Swirl Dampers". These vacuum operated dampers close off about 3/4 of manifold below 2,000 RPM and are supposed to create air turbulence to improve low speed operation and idle. You can't even see the operator, let alone see it's linkage the way it's positioned back at the firewall. So I removed the manifold. Sure enough, the plastic ball and socket had become separated and the dampers were in the closed position. This effectively limited the air flow, just like running with the choke closed on a carburetor. I drilled a hole in the center of the socket and snapped it back onto the ball, using a screw to hold it in place (This should be a permanent fix.). When I put the manifold back on the engine ran great and there was no more black smoke. However there was now a lot of blue smoke! The engine was now burning oil at the rate of about 1 quart to 100 miles. Obviously running that rich had destroyed the rings and possibly the cylinder walls. Finally I was able to locate a low millage 2.3 Duratec engine and installed it (after checking and making the modification to the damper linkage). This new engine is running well. I hope this helps someone else not to destroy their engine. B.D.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
so in other words your perm fix worked but your engine was already ruined. sounds like an engineering problem (plastic ball and socket joint? metal plz...) why dont you take a picture of your fix and put it up for suggestion to the tech library thats a valuable piece of info for all 2.3 duratec owners. in fact if you think you can make a replacement linkage that utilizes a looped hanger rod in hole design to replace the plastic ball and socket altogether you might be onto something for owners to mod themselves or sell to a company.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
good to know. I've not really heard of any bad things about the Duratech 2.3. I wonder if this is common??

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
really good question id like to see what this mechanism looks like, if its as chinchy as a hinge pin on a gl1800 goldwing theres plenty of room for concern...

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
or the whore of the time changing a stater on a GL1200. haha.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
got one better, rectifier on the gl1100. i did like the holley two barrel conversion for it tho that was kewl.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a very clean low mileage 2001 Ranger with the 2.3 Duratec motor. After driving this truck for about a month, I was returning home from a business trip on the freeway. Looking in the side mirror I noticed that it was blowing a lot of black smoke out the tail pipe. Since the truck was still running OK and not wanting to get stuck out in the boondocks, I drove it the rest of the way into the city. Over the next couple of days I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this problem. There were no codes and everything seemed to be OK, but the black smoke continued. Finally I happened to notice in the shop manual that the intake manifold on this engine is equipped with what are called "Swirl Dampers". These vacuum operated dampers close off about 3/4 of manifold below 2,000 RPM and are supposed to create air turbulence to improve low speed operation and idle. You can't even see the operator, let alone see it's linkage the way it's positioned back at the firewall. So I removed the manifold. Sure enough, the plastic ball and socket had become separated and the dampers were in the closed position. This effectively limited the air flow, just like running with the choke closed on a carburetor. I drilled a hole in the center of the socket and snapped it back onto the ball, using a screw to hold it in place (This should be a permanent fix.). When I put the manifold back on the engine ran great and there was no more black smoke. However there was now a lot of blue smoke! The engine was now burning oil at the rate of about 1 quart to 100 miles. Obviously running that rich had destroyed the rings and possibly the cylinder walls. Finally I was able to locate a low millage 2.3 Duratec engine and installed it (after checking and making the modification to the damper linkage). This new engine is running well. I hope this helps someone else not to destroy their engine. B.D.

I really can't understand how running the engine real rich can ruin piston rings. That makes no sense to me.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Too much fuel washes the oil from the cylinder walls...

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Too much fuel washes the oil from the cylinder walls...
+1 lack of lubrication increases ring friction on the walls, also causes dieseling (afterburn) and raw fuel deposits in the exhaust and stops up the exhaust system if its really bad, not that burning oil helps either.

kpreilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 and 2004
Make / Model
both ford
Transmission
Automatic
How would the performance be effected if the butterflies were permanetly held open?

ranger_03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

i have an 03 and i think mine did the same one night it drove fine next day it would not start then i got it running and it ran like the choke was on and when i would open it up it would bog down as if the choke was closed so i pulled the motor out and put a 302 in it then noticed the socket was no longer on the ball going to try to out the 2.3 back in and see if it will run now

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
take them out nissan has the same thing in their truck KA motors butterflies operated by vacuum closed under vacuum open at acceleration... just more things to go wrong on newer vehicles

Citoriplus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratech
Transmission
Manual
How many miles were on the engine when it happened?

Citoriplus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratech
Transmission
Manual
Good question and something that would be of interest to me.
If someone can get a pic of the offending part I'll try to chip off enough ice to get the hood open on my 07 to check it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals