• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown spark plug question

Norrick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a 03 wih 121k and im getting a misfire on cylinder 2, and discovered upon changing the plugs that cylinder 2 has a helicoil style thread repair. i discovered this when the thread insert came out with he spark plug still attached.

upon further inspection i found that this spark plug sits a few mm higher than the rest, which im wondering if this could be causing the misfire.

im not sure what type of repair was used as there are similar looking ones on he market. im trying to figure out how to approach this problem.

at the bare minimum id like to identify the insert used so i can replace it along with a new spark plug (right now I have 3 new spark plugs and 1 old spark plug because I cannot separate the spark plug from the thread insert).

ideally i would like to have he repair done over and correctly so that the plug sits at the correct depth but i dont know if he fact that its already been repaired once and is threaded(as opposed to blown and round) makes this possible.

a compromise would be finding another spark plug that fits (in a new insert of the same style) that is longer so that it offsets the raised seating depth, giving the tip a closer to normal depth in the cylinder.

here is apic of the plug and thread insert still attached. the oil was from a bad valve cover gasket and i thought this was initially givig me a bad spark but after replacing and cleaning the misfire persists (still using same old plug in cyl 2).

opinions on how to approach this repair?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just a WAG;
It looks to me as there is a gasket being used where none was originally, that's why the sparkplug sits out farther. Perhaps it was used in the thought that it would help seal combustion pressure. I recently read a [IIRC] TSB about threaded insert repair of sparkplug holes and I believe a "locktight" was used, which would negate the use of the gasket.
However I can't find the article I was reading....I read a lot and this was just fill.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will have input.
Good luck,

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals