• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998-2001 Propane Powered Ranger

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have a brand new LRG-425 Propane powered engine.

Since propane is only $2.19 a gallon here I am thinking of installing it in a 1998-2001 Ranger with 5 speed trans. Emissions is not a problem in my state. It is exempt. It is complete with the Ignition ECU. It does not need a fuel management ECU since it will have the correct IMPCO MODEL CA100 CARBURETOR.

The K&N air filter was put on to protect the intake.

Here is the Engine Rating:

Liquefied Petroleum Gas (corrected per SAE J1995)
Fuel Specification........................HD-5
Rated Power @ 3600 RPM............Intermittent: 84 HP (62 kW)
Continuous: 72 HP (54 kW)
Peak Torque @ 1800 RPM............Intermittent: 133 Ft. Lbs. (180 Nm)
Continuous: 113 Ft. Lbs. (153 Nm)
Power @ 1800 RPM......................Intermittent: 45 HP (34 kW)
Continuous: 38 HP (28 kW

I will be using it to commute to work and I think 84 hp will be fine.
The ASME approved fuel tank is roughly $1,000.00 But I would would rather be safe so I feel the price is not to out of line.

I was told this industrial engine will bolt right up in a 1998-2001 Ranger.

Is there anyone on this forum that did a conversion like this? Or knows any other forum that has info.

Henry

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
it would be easier to integrate into a pre '96 ranger since on the OBD2 trucks more stuff is integrated into the engine side of things. Just look for a ranger with a 2.3 in it and everything should bolt up, including the exhaust manifold from the donor truck since that's a turbo manifold... You would need to run the engine control setup it has now since I see it's got the distributorless ignition system, and you would have to figure something out for throttle control as that has an electronic throttle control, which could be interesting to get working right unless you know someone that can screw with the program in it now.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station, Henry!

I like your project / idea.

I suggest a 4.10 rear gear ratio and little tires!

All I can offer you tech-wise is....any pages you may need from the 2000 Ranger EVTM. That is the Ford book of schematics. 98-2000 are pretty much the same, electrically. If you want those pages, send me a Private Message (click on my username and a menu appears) and include your E-Mail Address. I also have the 93 EVTM and that offer is open to any member reading this.

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Earl43P and scotts90ranger thanks for the info and the welcome.

This is somthing differant for me and I think it would be neat to work the buggs out before the install.

The first thing I need to do is get the engine running with the correct carb setup. I need to see how well the ignition ECU adjusts the timing once set up properly.

This is unchartered territory because I don't know enyone that used this specific setup in a Ranger. From the info I have to date it should work.

I been thinking about a pre 96 Ranger. I believe it won't make a differance if I use a newer year since I will not be using the engine side of the controller.
I could be wrong.

The ignition controller that comes with this engine uses Temperature, Vaccume and rpm's to adjust the timing on the engine. In the service manual it has differant pin out changes on natural gas and propane engines to retard the timing if detenation is a problem. This has to be set for what type of fuel you are using.

I been looking at the parts manual and it looks like it comes with domed pistons. If I understand the comperssion readings correctly in the service manual this engines Compression Pressure averages 196 psi. This would make sense because Propane has a high octane rating of around 110. This would compensate for the lower btu's in natural gas and propane fuels. This engine is set up for a fixed speed right now but I have a part # for the variable speed Propane carb that uses standard throttle linkage for this engine. I believe ignition ECU electronicly govern's the engine to 3500 rpm's. Will 3500 RPM's be enough? It should for around town.

Henry

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you go carbed 5-speed you won't have to worry about anything else that is controlled by the engine computer.

I would like to point out that even though LPG is cheaper by the gallon if may not really save you any money by the mile. LPG isn't really that efficient.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would just sell that and put in some sort of diesel. would probably save you in the long run.

Last edited:

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I understand the reduction in mileage. It is aprox 7-10% but the price of propane here is $2.19 cents per gallon. Since it is a clean burn fuel the government gave you road use tax rebate. This has been brought up in congress a couple weeks ago so I will see if that rebate is still available. Still, If there is a 50 cent road tax put on I will be still ahead the way gas prices are going.

Gas just hit $3.99 cents a gallon here.

If I only get around 18 miles a gallon on the conversion it will still be worth it.

Henry

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, as long as you understand. Sounds like you have done your homework.

I've seen more than one person go off half-cocked to do an LPG or CNG because it is so much cheaper per gallon thinking that they will keep or increase their MPG.

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i would just sell that and put in some sort of diesel. would probably save you in the long run.
Diesel is $4.73 a gallon here. Another thing is emissions on diesel. I am not ready to get involved with Urea injection and catalists to try to make a diesel pass emissions.

I had 2 Ranger diesels an 1983 and 1984 with the Mazda/Perkins engine and they only got 28 miles per gallon. Tough engines. the 1983 had over 560,000 miles before I got rid of both of them.

Another good thing is Propane prices does not fluctuate with gas prices. The prices are much more stable.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
What's the possibility of turboing this motor? Just curious as to any reliability to turbo'd Lp or cng motors...

SVT

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ok, as long as you understand. Sounds like you have done your homework.

I've seen more than one person go off half-cocked to do an LPG or CNG because it is so much cheaper per gallon thinking that they will keep or increase their MPG.
I understand what you are saying. I don't expect mileage increase. I expect a decrease in mileage.

I am lucky to have filling stations next to me. This is one reason I am looking at a 40 gallon tank just in case.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Thats not an Impco, thats a Nolff's knock-off ca-100 mixer. You should be able to get a throttle body that will work with the ca-100 and bolt to the intake. That would allow you to get rid of the drive by wire and make it cable operated.
Give Alternative fuels a call with the bolt spacing and bore size on your T-body. They should be able to get you a cable operated t-body. http://www.propanecarbs.com/

I dont see a convertor. I'd toss that regulator and pick up an Impco Cobra convertor. Keep the elec fuel shut off or replace it with a VFF-30 vacuum lock-off.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I understand what you are saying. I don't expect mileage increase. I expect a decrease in mileage.

I am lucky to have filling stations next to me. This is one reason I am looking at a 40 gallon tank just in case.
I'd have a hose run into the bed that Tee's off the fuel line and keep a propane bottle from a bbq grilled in the truck for a backup in case you run empty on the road...

SVT

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What's the possibility of turboing this motor? Just curious as to any reliability to turbo'd Lp or cng motors...

SVT
Good question, my understanding is this engine has a higher compression ratio than gasoline engines to compensate for the lower BTU gaseous fuels. I don't know if the propane carb is designed to have positive pressure. I think the engine will have a very short life the way it is set up.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Then how about an M90 instead with lower compression pistons?

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals