• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do i set my timing to 12 advanced?

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have an 88 bronco II and im looking to advance my timeing to 12 as i read it might help a little in performance or idle. can anyone tell me how to do this the tech guide dosnt really say?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's not going to make ANY difference you can notice. If you have a rough idle, you have a problem you need to repair. Your truck really will run better if all six cylinders are firing.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to connect a timing light.

Locate the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley, and timing marker on the timing cover. Paint the marks on each with a light colored marker where you want the timing to be set.

Locate the spout connector and remove it. I don't know were it is on this particular truck, but it is usually close to the distributor. It is a small square connector looking thing in one of the wires. Maybe someone that knows will be more exact.

Loosen the bolt holding the distributor enough so you can turn the distributor by hand with some resistance. Not so loose that the distributor will spin when the engine is started.

Start the truck, aim the light at the marks you made previously. Turn the distributor slightly and you will see the mark on the crankshaft move. Set the marks even with each other.

Stop the engine, replace the spout, retighten the dist bolt, and you are ready to go. :) shady

Last edited:

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no my truck runs great im just looking for some more power sence it only has 90k on the engine i dont want to do a swap yet. thanks for the info guys

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It IS a small V6. The amount of power you'll gain from two degrees of base timing is tiny. You won't be able to feel it.

If you have a stick, you'll get much more effect from revving the engine much higher. 2.9Ls are loud and have a relatively high powerband; they like to be wound up FAR further than people guess by ear. 2500 RPM is best, 2000 RPM is minimal. By ear, you'll probably be closer to 1500 RPM. 2.9Ls are absolute dogs at 1500 RPM.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It IS a small V6. The amount of power you'll gain from two degrees of base timing is tiny. You won't be able to feel it.

If you have a stick, you'll get much more effect from revving the engine much higher. 2.9Ls are loud and have a relatively high powerband; they like to be wound up FAR further than people guess by ear. 2500 RPM is best, 2000 RPM is minimal. By ear, you'll probably be closer to 1500 RPM. 2.9Ls are absolute dogs at 1500 RPM.
This is all well and good, and true. But, in many cases like this, I think the guy just wants to work on his truck and learn, which is a very good thing, and should be encouraged.

There are many questions like this where the question doesn't get answered, the poster is told "that won't work," or "don't do that, it doesn't help," etc., and unless the poster is asking something that is a danger to him or his vehicle, answer the question and guide him.

He just wants to do something to his truck to say "I did it," or show off to his friends, and to be able to converse with thim.:beer:shady

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

This is all well and good, and true. But, in many cases like this, I think the guy just wants to work on his truck and learn, which is a very good thing, and should be encouraged.

There are many questions like this where the question doesn't get answered, the poster is told "that won't work," or "don't do that, it doesn't help," etc., and unless the poster is asking something that is a danger to him or his vehicle, answer the question and guide him.

He just wants to do something to his truck to say "I did it," or show off to his friends, and to be able to converse with them. Too often us older heads forget this. :beer:shady

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Is timing originally 10 degrees? I thought it was 11? Not jacking the thread, just want to make sure and have it be clear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals