• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver side squeaking with wheel rotation in 4x4

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello TRS folks,

We took the ranger out on some gnarly dirt roads over the long weekend to get to hiking trailheads and noticed a squeak/squeal from the driver side wheel only when in 4WD, high or low. You could tell it was with the rotation of the wheel (loud then softer each rotation). Looking under the truck the CV boots looked fine. It seemed to get somewhat louder throughout the weekend but hard to say for sure.

Our ranger has the vacuum hubs, which disengaged at a particularly tricky part of the road, and I'll be replacing those with manual lockers soon. While I have the truck up to replace the vacuum hubs - what should I look for?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
check your u-joint.

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oops, I just re-read your original post. I haven't worked on anything newer than a 94 Ranger. I was thinking TTB axle u-joints. But the driveshaft joints could also cause a squeak. Maybe the CV. TC in 2wd you should be able to turn the front shaft....I think.

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No problem - I would be surprised if it was a U-joint just because it was definitely louder on the driver side and the front diff is centered.

However - we bought the truck with 170k and who knows when the U-joints were last changed, they've been on the "should probably do eventually" list.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Noises can sound like they are coming from one place and actually be from elsewhere. Case in point is my 1980 Grumman Kurbmaster. I've been hearing a rattle when going over bumps. I was convinced it was coming from the drivers side. I finally tracked it to the passenger side caliper.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I seem to recall some discussion awhile back about the front axle seals on '98-'00 trucks causing some sort of squealing noises ("excluder" seals I think they were called?), might be a place to check.

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I seem to recall some discussion awhile back about the front axle seals on '98-'00 trucks causing some sort of squealing noises ("excluder" seals I think they were called?), might be a place to check.
You know, there has been a very slow oil drip on the front cross member which I assumed was something from the engine but could be the front diff leaking out the CV joint.

Thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I believe these seals are right behind the wheel-end CV joint.

I don't have a '98-'00 truck though so I can't say for sure, I just remember the discussion.

Edit:
Here is a past discussion on this... Starting at post #10 might be the info you're after.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8572

Last edited:

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
One of the best things you can get for your truck (if you intend to keep it awhile) is a set of factory service manuals. I see them very often on Ebay for ~$30-60 for a complete set of used factory manuals in good condition. :icon_thumby:

Just make sure you get the electrical diagrams with it too (sometimes sellers sell the wiring diagrams separately).

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well a little update:
-No squeaking when rotating the CV axle by hand
-Manual locking hub installation was a snap (literally!)
-Front diff was full of oil
-I dropped a piece of (relatively) hard plastic tubing into the fill opening of the front diff when trying to get a sample of said oil to see if it needed to be changed...

Fortunately the truck is still drivable since we have locking hubs and the front diff doesn't turn outside of 4wd mode.

Unfortunately I bumped the tubing deeper in with every attempt to extract. Currently debating taking off the CV axle and diff seal to see if I can fish it out that way...

I really don't want to have to drop the diff to get the cover off...

HBS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Another update:

I dropped the front diff and got that plastic out. I bought a new hub thinking the seal would be included but it's actually on the steering knuckle. The old hub was probably factory based on how much the bolts fought me on the way out so not a bad thing to replace anyhow...

I have everything back together but it got dark before I could put the oil back in.

Dropping the front diff was really tricky, if anyone has to do it on the Dana 35 SLA here's some tips:

1. You can leave the passenger side CV assembly all together and just take out the driver side. You will need to uncouple the front drive shaft.

2. When you go to remove the 3 bolts that hold the diff in get the upper one first, it's tucked away up under the frame and a pain to get to. It won't come out with the weight of the diff on it so do it first (you can guess how I know).

3. Use jack stands and your jack to help support it. When putting it back in make sure to watch the mount on the long arm axle, that has to line up just right then you need to make sure the diff is rotated around to get the vertical bolt.

Took me almost 6 hours but I ran into trouble lowering the diff, getting the cover plate back on and re-aligning everything. I could probably do it in under 4 having done it once already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals