• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 & Newer specific Ranger problems.....

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
look on fueleconomy.gov, this is TRS, not the import station!!

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I did not purchase my 2000 3.0 stick XLT until it has 115,000 miles on the OD. So I can only attest to what has happened since then. I now have 155,000 miles on her and have replaced: idler pulley and serpentine belt, heater core, water pump and did the thermostat and fan clutch as precaution at that time and today the cam synchronizer and sensor. The previous owner kept super records and appears to only have done routine maintenance. She has the same tires on her as when purchased and 40 K miles later, they are still good to go. The tires did not appear to be new at purchase and I figured would need replacing sooner than this. I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! / Kowboy

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
problems

leaf spring mounts in the back always rust out

Bulldog3755

Reaction score
The only thing I can think to add to wvcat's post is the typical driveshaft thud/clunk when starting to accelerate and when coming to a stop.

What exactly causes that and could it be a problem later on?
My 99 does it and honestly it's really bad somedays and it makes me worry

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bulldog3755

Reaction score
I keep having two issues that I haven't read yet. Some days when I move the truck for the first time it sticks. I put it in drive or reverse but it doesn't move but the Rpms drop meaning that it's in gear. If I hit the gas in reverse I hear a bang and it moves free. I thought It was brakes sticking at first but it does it even if I don't use the E brake.
Also very rarely the truck runs like the engine is under excessive load. Say if I'm driving at cruising speed the Rpms will be higher than normal. A lot higher sometimes. Slower acceleration follows suit and only once the speedometer wasn't reading right but when I stopped, shut the truck off and started it up it ran fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

broussard91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if it cant hang it cant stay
#9 #10 #12 have all thes probs with my 99 but slave might actuly be the plunger inside truck changed mine 3 time in my truck still have a sticky clutch pedal that releases when it wants done bled the system and had it changed at diferent shops after the one i did failed

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Common Problem, Noisy Power Steering Pump Fix

There are many fixes in a can or bottle that don't work. Probably many more that don't work than do. I can attest that you can count on Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak. I have used it in three of Ford's noisy power steering pumps and had success in quieting all three. Quieting yes, but I can't attest to it stopping leaks yet, though we just put a bottle in my sons Dakota to see.

I used a turkey baster to remove most of the old fluid from the pump reservoir and added a full bottle of Lucas each time. Problem solved! :icon_thumby:

From Lucas:
"Universal Power Steering Stop Leak (10011) by Lucas Oil®, 32 oz. Lucas Steering Stop Leak is 100% guaranteed to stop seal leaks in power steering units or your money back. Totally corrects rack and pinion problems. It is also totally effective in reducing slack, squeals and hard spots in worn rack and pinions. Your results will be immediate and long lasting."

jj46641

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I need some tips on replacing my ujoints on my 2001 ford ranger xlt 4x4 with the 4.0

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
This is a new problem on my 00' 4.0, on moderate acceleration it hesitates a couple times, can't tell if it's electrical or fuel or the 5r.. never thro's a code, I just live with it for now.
I have read a few similar complaints on this forum, no one seems to have an answer.

Bruno21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've had my 2001 and the 1999 both randomly not fire until the third crank.
1989 Bronco II, 2.9L, Manual Trans and T-case, Manual hubs | 2004 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L 4L60E, AutoTrac 4WD, Leather, Bose, DVD, Loaded | 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed 5" MBRP Straight Pipe, EFI Live Tuned by Longhorn Fab Shop.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
My ball joints crap out at bout 40k but the roads out here are terrible mine has this dam ding lime door ajar can't figure out what it is it'll do it for like 5 min then stop for bout 20 then do it another 5

perica91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
3 problems.

PVH hubs; Easy fix, either lock them or buy the AVM hubs.
Drive shaft clunk; haven't fixed it yet.
IAC valve noise; I just replaced the valve works great now.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My ball joints crap out at bout 40k but the roads out here are terrible mine has this dam ding lime door ajar can't figure out what it is it'll do it for like 5 min then stop for bout 20 then do it another 5
Is the seat belt electrical connections good? 5 minutes sounds like a lell of a long time though.

ThomasUSMC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I'm new on the site and can't quite figure out how it all works can anyone tell me how to start a thread?

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
I keep getting an EGR code when the engine light comes on, I have replaced the EGR valve twice and the EGR Solenoid. I continue to get a check engine light. The economy in the vehicle has gotten worse as well. Can not find any vacuum leaks and I have changed the spark plugs. Sorry, this is a 1999 Ford Ranger with the 3.0 engine and 4X4.
1998 Mazda B4000, bought used in 2009, 14x,xxx miles, auto trans, 4WD. Since its been mine, I've:

-replaced drivers side O2 sensor (CEL)
-replaced thermostat
-replaced front brake pads and rotors
-replaced bad power steering pump (still noisy!)
-greased slip yoke (got rid of take-off/stopping thump and a really annoying whistling sound - drove me crazy) - update - whistling sound is back :(

still to do:h
-replace front and rear shocks
-reseal rear window, leaks during rain

I know this is an old thread but this may help someone that comes across my suggestion, reseal that 3rd brake light ,water ruined my headliner within 2 years on my 2004 that I bought new !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals