• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help, it's my DD.

shaggys2gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89/06
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/6.0
Transmission
Manual
Well on my way to work 2 weeks ago and my truck acted like i lost one cylinder, a few minutes later it thought i dropped another cylinder. long story short I replaced the TPS, IAT sensor, TFI Module, Coil, Wires, Plugs, Cap & Button. checked as much wiring as i could under the hood, Cleaned the fuel tank out, Installed New filters (Both). I removed the distributor and replaced all the guts in it and reset time. Checked Fpr and still cannot get it to run right, it acts like i am only running on 3 cylinders because i can smell the fuel and the popping/air passing through the exhaust. If i remove the ground wire going from the intake to the body (The one bolted to the wiper motor) it will run good then bad off and on while im driving. please help im stumped, about broke now, and still have to drive it 40 miles one way to work every day.

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual

jhammel85

I feel for you man...

Have you checked the compression of the engine yet? If you did, what numbers did you get back?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
check the ground to the back of the passenger side head, if it's broke it can cause this

shaggys2gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89/06
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/6.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, i checked the injectors right after i cleaned my tank. I cleaned them and remounted them in the fuel rail with the rail out and they appeared to be working fine. I did not do a compression check yet, Im actually a little afraid of the numbers i might read. But i dont think compression is an issue because like i said, I can removed that one ground wire and sometimes the truck will straighten out and run ok for a min. Im not sure which ground is supposed to be on the pass side head, the only one i see is the small orange one but it is mounted to the intake and it was mounted there before i started having problems. Do you think i should move it to the head to see if that could be part of the problem? One of the only sensors I have not changed was the Coolant temp sensor (2 Wire to the ecm) Could a bad one be my problem??

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would pull the codes and see what you get.
That can give some real clues whats going wrong

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you post here before you started changing all those parts. If you can get your hands on a compression tester and a code reader and even a vacuum guage would have been a good start. You can keep throwing parts at it but a good diagnostic is allways the first step. With low compression It dont matter what you do it will never run right. You need to comfirm the health of the engine compression/vacuum before you spend any money on parts that are probably good.

shaggys2gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89/06
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/6.0
Transmission
Manual
Well ill dig out the Compression tester, I just dont understand how compression can be my issue when i am able to remove a ground wire and it will straiten out (Mostly). But of course when I remove the ground my lights dont shine well and my temp, oil press reading doesnt read right.
I work 7 days a week and I only have about 2 hours every morning to work on it, so troubleshooting it is a slow process.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I read it again and did you check all the wiring for burnt or shorted wires especially the O-2 sensor wires anything around the exhaust system. I bet when you were messing with the ground wire and the engine would run good the short is somewhere around there. GL

shaggys2gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89/06
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/6.0
Transmission
Manual
I dont have any O2 sensors, the Previous owner cut the exhaust right past the manifolds and ran duals into a y with no cats. what does the O2 sensor plug look like?? round 4 wire plug??

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Look for any wires hanging down the 0-2 sensor has three wires on mine it was one wire that went by the dizzy to the drivers side next to the firewall but just take a flashlight and look at all the wires for cracks burnt or melted connectors anywher around the exhaust manifolds pipes and anything touching the engine.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You engine needs an 02 to run properly, the engine uses it for fuel management. It would have been just before the cats at the end of the Y pipe.

shaggys2gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89/06
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/6.0
Transmission
Manual
I am trying to order a bung so i can reinstall an O2 sensor, But for now i am just trying to get her running the way she was 2 months ago.
Ive had the truck for a while and it ran great without an O2, and pretty decent milage too.
Little bit of progress today... Relocated two of my ground wires to the rear of the cyl heads (No Change), If i unplug the coolant temp sensor (the one for the ECM) the truck will smooth out and run a hell of alot better. With a new sensor installed its the same as before. Maybe a short to ground in that part of the circuit?? Thats as far as I got for the 2 hours i had to spend on it.
Looking for my test light to read the codes from it in the morning.

Last edited:

shaggys2gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89/06
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/6.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I read the codes today and I got, KOER-- Code 12--13--22--41--77, KOEO-- 89--86 (I think is irrelevant because I have a manual tranny) Mem--51 (I ran it with the Temp Sensor Unplugged), Any Ideas? maybe change the Map sensor? I dont see how the map sensor can affect it this bad but if someone say's i need to change it then thats the next thing im gonna do.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would try a new MAP, and make sure you clear the coded after you replace the MAP and pull them again. see if you get any new ones or get a clean bill of health
I worked on a truck that would not run, and just die if you tried to go. it ended up being a bad MAP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals